I work in a public library and we have recently entered into an agreement =
with our school corporation to have all the discarded school library books =
donated to our Friends of the Library for its books sales. Something like =
this might alleviate the problems you guys are experiencing.

I'm also working on my MLS and have taken Collection Development in which =
my professor stressed the importance of weeding (which I like to call =
"pruning" because you have to cut out the old and the bad so the new can =
grow) to keep the collection current, especially in the nonfiction area. =
BAD information is worse than NO information! Sounds like your teachers =
need more respect for your professional expertise and let you do your job =
like they do theirs. Good luck!

Cindy Rider
School Liaison Librarian
Vigo County Public Library
Terre Haute, IN
crider@vigo.lib.in.us    =20
http://www.vigo.lib.in.us

"If we didn't have libraries, many people thirsty for knowledge would =
dehydrate."
- Megan Jo Tetrick, age 12, Daleville, Indiana

The Vigo County Public Library is "easy to find. It's the million-story =
building at Seventh and Poplar streets." (Lori Henson in her "Briefcases" =
column, Terre Haute Tribune-Star, 10/8/02)=20

>>> Reed - Ann Cober <acreed@UMD5.UMD.EDU> 11/03/03 03:12PM >>>
re: "I give up.  We smuggle books to the dumpster in plain,
unmarked boxes, like we are moving contraband across the border."

Hear, Hear !!! Someone who finally tells it, like it is.

The only way I throw out books now (after 25 years of fighting this
perpetual problem)  is singlely in the trash can...each and everyone
marked in black permanent marker... "Deleted" or "Withdrawn"
WITH what's wrong with it... "pages missing" or  "damaged" also in
black permanent marker.  WITH the barcode ripped off.  Sometimes,
when I'm in a snit (that happens when I've just had that same comversation
AGAIN about "throwing away good books" )  I even remove the front
cover and throw it out on another trash day.