Hi Barbara et al!

What a great idea! Thanks, Barbara, for posing the question.

Last year was my first year as a librarian, but I had two things that =
really worked.

1.  Valentine Theme:

Three displays in the library:

BMS Students (Heart) Reading -- caption (Drew a picture of a heart)
Teachers and Library Staff went around the building and took pictures of =
students reading in all kinds of setting.  (BMS stands for Barrington =
Middle School)

BMS's Favorite Couples -- caption
Students submitted favorite couples -- we got everythihng from Jennifer =
Aniston and Brad Pitt to John and Theresa Kerry... Bryce and Julie =
(Flipped by Van Draanen) to parents, to Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
Some students drew their submissions, some were taken from fan or weekly =
news magazines, some from favorite books.  One of my favorites was a 7th =
grader submitted an original illustration of "Toot and Puddle" because =
that was her favorite book as a youngster. (Kids have to submit their =
favorites to us and the library staff posts their submission.... eliminatin=
g inappropriate postings)

"Books we've (Heart)" Caption

Students submitted a title of a book they loved -- because the sheet on =
which they submitted it was a large heart, many wrote the title, author =
and added an original drawings.

2.  Second success was not a bulletin board...but I'll share.  For Poetry =
Month in April, we had an all school project.  Our library staff created a =
short kid/teacher friendly, instructional packet about THE ODE with =
examples for each English teacher. The English teachers did a short =
presentation, and then set the kids loose to compose "An Ode to My =
Locker!"  Of course, in the library we highlighted and displayed many =
poetry books. =20

Almost every locker in our building -- over 1000-- had a poem posted on =
the locker.  Now ... in a middle school you would think that there would =
be a lot of defacing and destruction, but it was great!  It didn't happen. =
 Our principal said a few words at lunch to each class about respecting =
one's property.  We had the poems up for about 2 weeks....then took them =
down.  We are compiling the poems into grade level books that will be in =
the library.  We also got some great pictures for the yearbook as well as =
for the grade level books we're making for the library of kids reading the =
poems on the lockers.

This year I'm going with an ELECTION theme:

Elect to read for pleasure
Elect your favorite Caudill Book --Illinois's book list
Elect to be your very best!
Elect to use critical reading on the Internet
etc.

Don't know if it will be a success!  Will keep you posted.

Can't wait to read everyone's great ideas.
Readingly yours,
Chris

Christine L. Evans, librarian
Library/Media Center
Barrington Middle School - Station
cevans@cusd220.lake.k12.il.us
847-381-0464
>>> Barbara Braxton <barbara@AUSTARMETRO.COM.AU> 08/02/04 05:18 AM >>>
What has been your most successful/ intriguing/ popular/ appealing /
outrageous / funny / gross  display that you have set up in your library =
attract students?  What themes and slogans have really worked?

Displays are an important part of the environment we create for the =
students
but sometimes it is hard to think of a new idea.  So let's share what we
have done - and maybe your idea will be another's inspiration.
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School