My original post:
A friend of mine teaches first grade in a nearby district.  Every year her students
write a book in a "blank book."  The school librarian catalogues the
books and puts them on the shelves.  One of the students wrote a book he entitled
Typewriter Chicken, and "innovation" (as so many of first graders'
stories are) on *Click, Clack, Moo.*  The librarian refuses to display the book
because she feels it is too similar to the original and is, therefore,
copyright infringement.  Is it?  What would you do?

Carol Simpson's Response:
"Using a formula to create a story isn't a copyright infringement. If the student
used the original author's words, or characters, or illustrations,
there might be a case, but if formulaic writing were a crime, most TV series and
Hollywood movies would be violations. What she needs to be concerned about
is keeping student work. The students own the copyright in these works, and she
can't keep them without permission of the parents."

Another Response:
"I don't think you could call it copyright infringement unless he tries to sell it!
Plagiarism maybe, but I think I would call it a different
version of the story . . .Let the student display it with pride, in your classroom
if not in the library. Kids see all different approaches to Cinderella, Little Red
Riding Hood, etc. and are even encouraged to write their own versions in later
grades so I just don't see where this is a problem."

The other two librarians who responded said they would include it in their
collections.

Thanks for your help.  My friend is very grateful, and so is the child.

Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School
5280 Foley Road
Cincinnati, Ohio   45238