So our Ninth Annual Read Across America celebration is in the can.
I thought this would be an appropriate time to tell what we did at my school....
rather than trying to remember next February!

I am the librarian in a 1st thru 3rd grade school. About 600 kids and 80 staff.

Last week everyone saw my slide show.

Today we all dressed up as the Cat. I sent a note home to the parents asking the
kids to wear black shirts and black pants. Some classes made tall striped hats from
Saturn. Some made visors they decorated. There were a variety of red bow ties, too
- crepe paper, red construction paper....

I made invitations for guest readers. Each teacher got three and was asked to send
them home to parents who are able to come in. We had about 30 parents visit, along
with a few other people who come every year.

One of the choices for lunch was green eggs and ham.

This afternoon we had an assembly.
First, I introduced all the kids who have read 100 books. They stood and we
applauded.
One of the third grades recited the Readers' Oath. I think it is on the NEA's read
Across America website.
One of the second grades recited One Fish, Two Fish. Each student had a big,
colorful fish cut out of  paper. Very cute. They didn't do the entire book.
Another second grade did a Reader's Theater version of Click Clack Moo. Then they
sang the same Reader's Oath to the tune of Oh, My Darling Clementine.
Then we introduced our Read A Thon. We've never done a read a thon. So I'm am not
sure how this will go. A teacher scanned the pictures from Beatrice's Goat. As the
pictures were projected on a screen I read the book out loud. Then I talked about
Heifer International and how we are going to raise some money so that someone else
can go to school. You can read about this at http://www.heifer.org

Then - my favorite part - Captain Underpants showed up. He is really one of our
teachers, dressed in his wrestling shoes, blue spandex tights, a red cape, a
t-shirt, and his underwear. It is SO funny to see him - he is SUCH a good sport. He
runs thru the crowd and get everyone screaming R - E - A - D - READ!

You can see as at
http://www.glassboro.k12.nj.us/Bullock%20Folder/BullockWeb%20Pages/RRA%20staff%20pics/RRA%20photos02.htm

Or go to http://www.glassboro.k12.nj.us
Click on Bullock School - Special Events - Read Across America - photo gallery

Then we go home. What a fun day.

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Bullock School
Glassboro NJ