I got an incredible response to my request for ideas for a
father/daughter dance  & mother/son dance.  I am incredibly grateful for
the wealth of ideas so many of you shared.  If well-wishes work at
keeping bad weather at bay - it will be a glorious day on July 7 in
Upstate NY!!

Here is the first of several "hits"

***

I can only tell you what my son and I danced to at his wedding... sorry,

can't remember any other song!

We danced to James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend" and everyone who knew
us

said it was perfect. I think the relationship of the parties may dictate

the just-right song.

***

Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlilse.  it's a perfect daddy/daughter song.

there won't be a dry eye in the place.

the lyrics are:
There's two things I know for sure.
She was sent here from heaven, and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night,
She talks to Jesus, and I close my eyes.
And I thank God for all the joy in my life, But most of all...
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.
"Walk beside the pony daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, daddy, but I sure tried."
Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right.
To deserve a hug every morning, and butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet sixteen today.
She's looking like her momma a little more every day.
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and makeup, from ribbons and curls.
Trying her wings in a great big world. But I remember...

Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you daddy, but if you don't mind,
I'm only going to kiss you on cheek this time."
With all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right.
To deserve a hug every morning, and butterfly kisses at night.

All the precise time.
Like the wind, the years go by.
Precious butterfly, spread your wings and fly.

She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise, and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride room just staring at her.
She asked me what I'm thinking, and I said, "I'm not sure,
I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."
Then she leaned over... and gave me...

Butterfly kisses, with her mama there.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.
"Walk me down the aisle daddy, it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty daddy?" "Daddy don't cry."
With all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right.
To deserve a hug every morning, and butterfly kisses.
I couldn't ask God for more, man, this is what love is.
I know I've gotta let her go, but I'll always remember.
Every hug in the morning, and butterfly kisses...
(taken from
http://www.lyricsstyle.com/b/bobcarlisle/butterflykisses.html

accessed 3/24/06)

***

I've seen "Wind beneath my wings"" at a number of weddings.
It serves for father/daughter, mother/son, e.g.

***

There's an upbeat song by Paul Simon that I used for my father/daughter
dance.  The chorus says something like "there never was a father that

loved
his daughter more than I love you."  It's great to dance to and is
really,
really sweet.   It's from a movie less than 5 years old... can't
remember
the title... but I bet a quick internet search would find it.  Have fun
planning!

***

Last summer my husband and I used Itty Bitty Pretty One for the

bride/father (we used the remake but I can't remember who did it) and
Your Mother Should Know, The Beatles for the groom/mother.  We wanted
less

traditional/sappy songs.  Itty Bitty is actually a fast song; my father

and I had fun dancing to it and it was more entertaining for our guests
as

well.

***

My son is getting married in September.  After being to
many, many weddings, I've decided to dance to the Rod
Stewart song, "Forever Young" with my only son.  I recently
went to a wedding where the bride and her dad danced to The
Temptations "My Girl".  At another wedding the groom and his
mom danced to "I hope you dance" which was nice, too.

***

Oh the fun you'll have. We were concerned about the weather too last
year

- & got the hottest weekend of the summer -:)

My husband and daughter danced to "Daughter of Mine" by John McDermot (I

think) - it was perfect for them!
"These are the thoughts of a father
on the wedding day of his daughter
as his mind wanders back to the first time he held her
He looks at her now
the same pride in his eyes
as on to the dance floor they glide..."

I can't remember what our son-in-law & his mother danced to (isn't that

terrible?), but perhaps "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" by Steve
Wariner

& Glen Campbell...

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS