Thanks to everyone who posted such a quick response to me.  I've composed
a hit of the responses I've received so far.  The first ones seem to most
fully address my situation and are the solutions I'll try first.  The
latter ones perhaps apply more to individual shelf labels for call
numbers, but all of the suggestions were helpful.  Here are the responses:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Picture framers use something called adhesive release. I think it is
available in art supply stores. It is pretty similar to lighter fluid,
which often works to remove old sticky stuff. Certain glues can be removed
with rubbing alcohol. You can dribble some lighter fluid on the top edge
of the sign, let it soak a minute or two and then try to slide a knife
blade behind the sign to get it lose. To securely fasten signs to most
surfaces it is best to place some double adhesive tape at either end of
the sign and use silicon glue in the center. The tape will hold the sign
in place until the glue is secure. Silicon glue is flexible and works well
on surfaces like metal, wood, and concrete.
~ - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As a woodworker I say go for it.  If it does damage the shelf a bit, then
get out a sander, clean it up and then hit the front edge with some finish
to match the rest.  Worst case you will have to re-do the front edges of
all the shelves to make them match.  Do a bottom corner somewhere and
practice to get the color correct.

I am guessing it is those plaque type signs, if you slide a putty knife
under the edge until it hits and then twist very slowly while lifting as
much as you can you will be able to EVENTUALLY pry them up.  If you can
find some of the GOO-GONE spray, squirt that in as you are twisting with
the putty knife.  The sticky is usually a thin strip down the middle, so
work your way all around, prying up a little here and a little there as
you work around the strip.  If somebody got really creative and glued it
down all around, then the signs will break as you pry, just expect it,
they are also old and brittle, but like you said, they do not reflect the
collection anymore!

Putty knives come in different strengths; you do not want one of the
flimsy ones, look for a good one, thin but strong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
Delightful dilemma!  More books, have to "rotate shelves"!  Good for you!

I would try to work on a sign myself, carefully, to see if I could get it
off. After removing it, if it was put on with 2 sided tape or glue
adhesive, there are products to get the ick residual off the shelf.  We
use De-Solv-It that we got at Walmart. You could heat up the residue to
see if that can remove it.

Worst case would be to print up some replacement signs in a large font on
pretty paper, laminate it and stick it over the existing sign. I know, it
won't line up right but it would be better than status quo.
- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Try UnDu.  It is available in the craft section of Wal-Mart.  You may have
to put it on several times to loosen the glue, but it will work and will
harm nothing.  I use it to remove paper labels from paper products.
- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is there enough of a gap to insert a small steak knife to cut through the
adhesive?  You might want to try WD40 or Goo Gone to break it up first.  If
you remove the finish from the wood, you can always sand the area and
refinish it.

Another alternative may be to just buy new labels and adhere them over the
old ones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
If all else fails, could you simply print some new signs, maybe on
colorful paper, and just stick them on over the old signs? Residue-removal
can be tricky, I know. I think nail-polish remover sometimes works on lots
of stuff. There's something called "Goo-gone" or a similar name. Find an
inconspicuous spot and try a few things. Let us know if anyone has a
sure-fire answer!
 - - - - --- - - - - - - - - -

I think I would go with computer-generated signs and laminate them.  You
could just use double sided tape to affix them to the existing signs. that
way you can redo them any time you want in the future.
 - - - - - - - - -- - - -
 If the shelves are adjustable, can you remove the wooden shelf and place
it where it belongs? It may be a lot of work, but is a potential solution.
 - - - - - - -- - - - - - --
Buy new signs and stick them over the old ones.  If they have been up
there a long time and haven't been falling off the maintenance people are
probably right.
 - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - --
I'd probably go for an overlay...depending upon the size of the signs you
have now, DEMCO and Highsmith both have plastic labels with paper inserts
that you can attach over the ones you presently have and that would allow
you to shift your collection as you need to.~ I face that issue also, so
these removable inserts are precious to me.
-       - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We purchased clear plastic tags that you change by typing new paper
labels. (like tabs on old fashioned file folders)  The tags stay in place
- the info changes. They are available from any library or office supply
store.
goo goo is a miracle substance....

Michelle Henry
Librarian, Dove Elementary