One of the new, young teachers in our building shared this report from a conference
she recently attended. I thought some of you might enjoy these thoughts. The poem
at the end is neat!

Sue Johnston

CHS Librarian

Aberdeen, SD

Sue.johnston@aberdeen.k12.sd.us

************

Good morning - I attended a teacher's conference this weekend in Sioux Falls.  The
guest speaker was Annette Breaux from Houma, LA.  She was absolutely AMAZING!!  She
touched on many areas such as classroom management, discipline, instruction and
planning.  She was very inspiring and motivating - she has also co authored a book
with Harry Wong.  I thought I would share some of the things that she touched on. I
also received a book - 101 "Answers" for New Teachers and Their Mentors - if anyone
would like to look through it - so if you are interested please read on!

Rick Melmer - Secretary of Education for SD also was there and he shared 3-A points
for becoming a more effective teacher:

1.      Attitude - maintain a positive attitude
2.      Ambition - Strike balance between family and work
3.      Amnesia - forget and give 2nd chances - everyday is a NEW day

* * * * * * * * *

Annette Breaux -

***People who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most
credentials, most money, or most awards.  They are quite simply those who care.

***The more negative a child is the more positive you have to be.

***More than ½ the things that are memorized are useless.

***3 criteria for Communication

1.      Words - 7% of our words are retained
2.      Tone - 38%
3.      Body Language - 55%

93% of our communication has absolutely nothing to do with the words we use.

***We test our students to see their ACHIEVEMENTS!

***Tell students everyday that you care.

***Before you say something negative to a student, ask yourself would it be okay to
say this - or this be said to you in a faculty meeting?

***Teach enthusiastically even if you do not feel enthusiastic!!  FAKE IT!

***Children are more forgiving than adults.

***The number one problem in the classroom is not discipline.  It is the lack of
procedures and routines.

I TEACH

I light a spark in a darkened soul

I warm the heart of one grown cold