Hi, Lindy,

I would challenge the architects to define "many." And
then to find any follow-up studies that show if those
schools are pleased with their decisions about five
years later. There are a FEW schools being built like
that, but not "many."

The one I am familiar with in my own area is a
Catholic school which moved into an existing building
and didn't have/make room for a library. They broke up
a carefully balanced collection of resources since
students would be "able to find all the information
they needed online."  Three years later there is a lot
of frustration; the staff is not always happy with the
"good enough" information students are using.

There is also a need for the quiet, productive place
to study that is provided by a library rich in
resources.

Even more importantly, students are not being prepared
for the in-depth reflection and thinking that they
will be required to do in college when they do not
have access to that depth provided by books--which are
edited and fact-checked. Or the instruction in
evaluation and searching provided by a strong school
library program.

There is a great article in this month's Multimedia
Schools about preparing students for university
research:

"Helping Students Make the Jump to University Level
Research,"  Mar/Apr 2006, By Carrie Esch and Amy
Crawford

 Perhaps you can point your administrators and parents
towards it and the work of David T. Conley
<http://www.s4s.org> who is the author of College
Knowledge and who is convinced of the role libraries
play in giving students the skills needed to not only
get into college, but out of college.

And, there is a study done in California by Topsey
Smalley which shows the higher college grades for
students with high school libraries. Here's the
citation and abstract:

Smalley, Topsy N. "College Success:  High School
Librarians Make the Difference." Journal of Academic
Librarianship 30.3(2004): 193-8.
Abstract: Abstract

Many students who enroll in a community college
Information Research course come from three local
school districts. Of those three districts, only one
has librarians. Through examining grade rosters, this
study demonstrates that student achievement is
substantially higher for students who come from high
schools that have librarians and library programs.

Don't give up, Lindy. It's too important for kids.

All the best, Sara Kelly Johns

--- Lindy Hutchison
<lhutchison@MAIL.SWEENY.ISD.ESC4.NET> wrote:

> Dear LM_NET,
>
> Our district is in the process of planning a new
> high school.  The architects are here and are saying
> that "many new schools are being built without
> libraries," and that "students will each have their
> own individual gizmo and be able to access
> everything they need on-line." (sigh) I've already
> turned over to them the results of the Colorado
> Study, et. al., but they seem unconvinced that, in
> planning for "the school of the future," the library
> will not be obsolete. They postulate that the
> students of today and of the future are so used to
> being wired (& wireless) that they think and learn
> differently from those of us who are older.
> Arguments about snuggling up with a book and quilt
> in front of the fire, they say, hold true for older
> generations, but our students are coming of age in a
> new ethos.
>
> I've been to the meetings; teachers, parents, and
> many students seem stunned at the thought of doing
> away with the library.  The architects seem to have
> convinced the superintendent and the assistant
> superintendent of finance, though, that they are
> right.
>
> I've looked through the LM_NET archives & could not
> find a similar situation.  I've been researching &
> did not find evidence of other school districts
> thinking that this was a good idea.  If any of you
> have experience with or know of such a situation,
> especially research showing that the library is not
> totally on the way out, I would really appreciate
> hearing from you.
>
> Ever thankful for LM_NET,
> Lindy
>

> Lindy Hutchison, Librarian
> Sweeny HS Library
> Sweeny, TX
> lhutchison@mail.sweeny.isd.esc4.net
>
> "Let us put our minds together and see what life we
> will make for our children."
>                                          --Tatanka
> Iotanka  (Sitting Bull)

> Please note: All LM_NET postings are protected by
> copyright law.
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting
> LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail
> address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)
> SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow
> for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select:
> http://elann.biglist.com/sub/
>  * LM_NET Supporters:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

AASL Region II Director, Candidate for AASL President
Assciate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest
Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson