I have been an observer on this listserv for quite some time and have gained
an enormous amount of knowledge and insights into the world of library media
services.  This is my first time posting.  I am the librarian at a
residential school for the deaf and the blind.  I am in my third year as
librarian, but previously taught in the deaf dept. for 27 years.  I am
loving the job and I also love the enthusiasm, knowledge, and dedication of
this group.

I am the sole librarian at the school and divide my week between the blind
dept library, deaf dept. library and a satellite library open for 2 hours
after school each day for our residential students.  None of our libraries
are automated at this time.  I am currently researching automation systems.
I am hoping to find one system which can be used to catalog the holdings of
all 3 of our campus libraries.  Each library is located in a different
building, but my goal is to consolidate the holdings of all 3 libraries into
one catalog so that all staff can have access to the materials in each of
our libraries.  The exact number of titles in the total collection of all 3
libraries is unknown as the blind dept had no librarian between 1987 and
2003 (when I took over).  However, a general estimate would be 20,000
titles.

What I am looking for is a system that could unite all 3 libraries into one
automated catalog & circulation system at a reasonable price.  Any
recommendations?

I have been encouraged to check out the VIA system by Innovative.  Does
anyone have any experience with this system?

Please respond off-list.  Thank you all in advance for your insights!

Margaret Robison

Librarian at the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind

Staunton Va

chewey75@adelphia.net

"Words are the outer clothing of ideas."  Hercule Poirot