I don't think schools in the future will have LMCs but have no idea of when
the future is.   Were I designing a school today I would hedge my bets, make
certain that each classroom was setup with whiteboards, lcd projectors and
wireless.   If here was money left after doing that, then add on a library.
To those that ask about supplying computers for every student, I would ask
them to project how long it will take before we can buy usable notebooks for
$100?    Then divide your salary by $100.

Two other thoughts,   five years ago we remodeled our LMC and put in a
computer lab.   The first year one particular teacher, a retired attorney,
was in with his classes ten times a week.    He is exceedingly knowledgeable
about computers, research and technology, very supportive of the library and
also an excellent teacher.   He hasn't come yet this year, but his classroom
now contains an lcd projector and he finds that his time is better spent in
the classroom.  His classroom management techniques are fine, its just that
the kids are more on task in the intimate and familiar setting of his
classroom.    Did I mention that he left law because he has a scholarly
bent, get the kids reading all sorts of stuff.

My other thought  is about Questia an online database with individual
accounts for students that allows them to create separate projects or
folders for each assignment, make notes, underline, adjust the font, create
citations and a bibliography all while searching by lextile or reading
level.   The account stays with the student in college.    The teacher has
access to the student account and can monitor the entire research process,
including when materials were looked at.      Currently the database is 65
online texts and one million articles.   How long before it contains, for
all practical purposes, everything?

When I look at the whole picture, I see wholesale change coming.

Paul Trotta

Director of Library Media Services

East Catholic High School

Manchester, CT  06040