Students can be encouraged to read books.  But it does take the staff to help.
I have been at my current school 6 years.  The first year I was here circulation
was about
1000 books.  After working with the teachers, making the collection current we are
on target
to circulate 5000 items to a student body of 320  with a collection of 5000 items.
2/3 of the
students have books checked out on any day.  It took work and collaboration to get
there.

As for the Star Trek references.  In the 1st season episode "Court Martial", Kirk
was on trial
for murder.  His lawyer refused to use computers but "Cogley argues that books are
where
you can experience the law, not in a synthesized computer".   In the end they
proved
that the computers were manipulated and provided bad data.  Still one of my
favorite
episodes.

Don

Donald Pippin, Librarian