From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Nancy Willard
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:06 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] HIT: AUPs with Web 2.0 tools

Hi Cheryl,

I am sorry I did not see your request for information.  I am working on a
Slides-n-Audio presentation on effective Internet use management in a Web
2.0 world for schools that should be available in January. I will have a
template for an Internet use policy.

But the effective management issues for Web 2.0 are much deeper than a
policy. It is really important to focus on effective educational use of the
technologies when used in schools and to make sure the Web 2.0 technologies
that are used are ones that support educational uses and allow for
appropriate control and monitoring. Most importantly, reliance on filtering
must shift to more effective supervision and technical monitoring.

Also education for students specifically related to Web 2.0 must address
protection of personal privacy, legal/ethical issues related to online
publishing - defamation, privacy, copyright, and plagiarism.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)

To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the
message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:00 PM