Here are all the wonderful ideas I received concerning starting a
respect for books program:

Do you or your kids have access to video cameras?  One thought is to
have the kids (with adult help if needed) make video segments about book
care.  Over the years I have kept books that have not necessarily been
taken care of--roughly 75 books (Egads that is so many!!) and lay these
out for one of my Kindergarten lessons.  I begin by talking up the
ability to soon check out books, and they may want to check out one of
these.  Superficially they may look good, but once I begin the book-talk
for each book, we discover together that each book has problems.  Some
of the books have obviously been wet and then dried, some have scribble
scrabble in them, some are just plain OLD, some have food smudges.  But
I have enough to make the point that they would be in better condition
if they were better taken care of.  For a video project, have your older
students make the point--it would be a authentic video they could make
for your lower grade students, and help make the older kids understand
and have reinforced the need to care as well.  You could assign a type
of damage and ask them to make a 15 to 45 second segment of the final
product....

If you do not have any books available because of recent weeding, I'm
sure a neighboring library would gladly donate to the cause. We are all
looking for creative things to do with weeded books. You could make your
own books with issues, like paint, scissors, tor pages, food and candy,
the baby brother did it syndrome...I have taken a weeded book and glued
pages together just for that purpose before.

Anyway, it's a thought.

How about Judy Freeman's "No, no, never, never box"?  See p. 79 of her
second book More Books Kids Will Sit Still For.  Other ideas around
those pages also.

ah ha, another Sarah! yeah.

I have had some wonderful successes with our birthday book program.
While it is not a revolutionary idea,  one of the spin offs has been
that the chidlren are very protective of 'their books'  (the items with
their name  emblazed on the book plate).  Often they remind their
friends to handle that particualr book gently and with care.
They beam when I pull it our for a storytime and cite it as their
family's donation to the school. I always point out how good of a
condition it is and how that came to be.

Sarah,
I started the year by reading the Shelf Elf to my 2nd grade classes.
Each week, I would decide what class showed me the best "respect for
books" and I would award a shelf elf trophy to them to keep for the
week.  I just used an old trophy and bought an extra shelf elf character
and adhered it to the side of the trophy.  You would be surprised at how
excited the students were when I went to their classroom to award it.  I
also considered behavior as part of the award.  Sometimes, I would also
hand out bookmarks for exceptional work.

Kids are visual so I would suggest that you find some books that have
not been respected and either bring them or pictures of them with you to
classroom visits. (We all have a few in the book hospital right?)

I also think part of respecting a book is respecting the space in which
they 'live' so some photos of dis-respected shelves and library tables
wouldn't be too remiss. Last year when I dealt with elementary kids
regularly, I had a class that left the shelves an absolute disaster
area, so I took pictures of what it looked like before I straightened it
and then after so they could see what a shelf was supposed to look like.

Also, maybe a book mark or some other little thing that you could give
them will help them remember the ideas you present and that they can
also use in the library.  Maybe a shelf-marker made of tag board with
the ideas on it?  A rhyme or a mnemonic that helps them remember the key
points might also be good.

I believe the book Mr. Wiggles would work for book care and respecting
books.

I know a friend of mine was having a problem at his elementary school
library where many students were turning in books with torn pages and
written on and he decided to make a video demonstrating students how to
properly handle books. He showed this to each of his classes as one of
the introductory lessons at the beginning of the following school year.
He mentioned that it did work.

A suggestion that I have is to maybe buy or make a book puppet and write
a 1st person script on the feelings of the book when being happy and
being mistreated.

Well, that's something I just came up with and I will probably do it as
well this school year. This can probably help in making students more
conscious of the importance of respecting such an important piece of
information such as a book.

I hope it helps in something.

I have a lab coat with Mrs. Dennis, Book Doctor, on the pocket and I
have a stethoscope.  I "listen" to the some damaged books that I have
collected and tell the students the stories I "hear".  We then talk
about what could have prevented these illnesses.  It creates great
discussions.

Throughout the year I take pictures of damaged books. The students'
reaction is so powerful when I show them at orientation. They can't
believe someone would destroy or hurt a book.

I also use ""Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book" by Lauren Child. It's
silly enough to keep the kids laughing, but it also talks about taking
care of books.