Hey folks, here is a really good "teachable moment" story on cyberbullying
from today's San Francisco Chronicle:

"More than 1,000 new supportive e-mails and letters have flooded in for
bullying victim Olivia Gardner, a middle school student in Novato, since
The Chronicle published a story last week about a letter-writing
campaign started by two Mill Valley sisters. "

Here is the link to the full story:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/31/BAGGDQ3CL421.DTL.

One of the best ways to prevent cyberbullying is to empower the bystanders.
Teens really do have the ability to make a difference. You can use this
story in your class for a discussion about how your students can respond
proactively to address this concern. Please make time for this. It is
important.

To further your discussion, there is student curriculum on my site. There is
also a one page CyberbullyNOT poster that you can post in your
room/library/computer lab.

Please feel free to forward this message further, especially to the safe
schools personnel in your district.

Also check out my Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens site for booklets for
Teens and Parents on Internet safety. These can be freely reproduced and
might be helpful to send home before summer starts. By next fall (actually
by NECC) I will have a Powerpoint that you can use for parent workshops.

All best.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)