Dear LM_Netters:

As a SLMS very close to endorsement, and currently working in an urban public
school under control of a Governance Board due to non-AYP for 6 years, I would
appreciate your thoughts on the importance of the Classics in a middle school
library.

Our school has over 400 middle school students, and zero library budget. With last
fall's donation of $36,000 by a local university, I purchased around 2,000 new
books, and had another 2,000 existing titles worth keeping. Of the 4,000 books on
our shelves, 800 are new fiction which I selected with great care. Only 1 of those
800 is a "classic": The Old Man and the Sea, which I kept as a pair to Philbrick's
The Young Man and the Sea.

A member of our 12-person Governance Board is concerned that we do not have
"classic" fiction, such as the works of Twain and Cervantes.

While I, too, love the classics, I fail to see how urban middle schoolers can
appreciate dead-white-man's literature, particularly since we have so many talented
and diverse writers of fiction today. The classics that make a difference for urban
children of color, in my view, are the works of and about the Harlem Renaissance
writers, poets, intellectuals. But that is not what the Governance Board means by
the "Classics". I am not being directly challenged on my fiction choices;
nevertheless, I am deeply uneasy.

Would you share your views on this issue on or offline?

Dyanna L. Meekhof
SLMS-to-be
Burton Middle School
Grand Rapids, MI