Susan - I agree that AR should be used as a diagnostic tool.  I
disagree that AR intends it solely to be a diagnostic tool.  Their
home page makes it to be a program that inspires reading excitement.
This is a program to get kids to love reading.  By doing what?
Taking quizzes on the books they read.  There are rewards for
children who earn a certain number of points.  Goals are set and
students are required to read books with a given reading level.
Special certificates for reaching a goal of so many points.  You
don't need 100,000 quizzes for a diagnostic tool.
Johanna

Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)
80 Powder Mill Rd, Southwick, MA 01077
JH@newsonglibrary.org