You said a mouthful, Doug!

I'm very concerned with our obsession with the intricacies of
copyright law, and our habit of playing it safe. If we librarians do
not encourage the application of Fair Use in the classroom, we're in
danger of loosing it.  If your school blocks YouTube, but there is a
video there that would be helpful for use in class that you can get
no where else, is it so bad to download it at home simply so you can
use it as part of the curriculum?

I'v got a link on my blog to an article about “The Cost of Copyright
Confusion for Media Literacy,” released by American University’s
Center for Social Media. I recommend checking it out.

http://lib.surruralist.net/2007/10/26/copyright-crisis-in-the-classroom/

Pamela Burke
Librarian, Marlboro School
Marlboro, VT 05344