Hi LM_NETters.

That's right--in high school kids are all very industrious and never use the
library to socialize or play games or ... NOT!

My library seats 134 (legal limit) and most mornings and lunch times there
are over 100 kids in the library. Fortunately, we rarely have problems. It
can get a bit noisy but we've got some areas where it is relatively quieter
and that does help. My assistant opens the library at 7:30 and I get to
school at about 7:40 so the kids have about a half-hour to do work, chat,
socialize, etc. The (cold) cafeteria is open in the morning, but the library
is about it for hanging out in a warm spot.

I will say that discipline problems tend to come in cycles and if we can
figure out a potential source of trouble and nip it in the bud we can go a
long way to prevent a general lack of order.

In another library, the librarian who preceded me maintained silence at
lunch. Her justification was that students who didn't have a quiet place to
study at home had  one at school. I discovered that it took more energy to
maintain order in that situation than it did if we allowed a natural level
of conversation to take place. And kids seemed to be able to get just as
much work done.

I feel fortunate that students and staff seem comfortable with the level of
chaos in our library in those times when the library is at full capacity but
I also know how easily it can spiral out of control so I am thankful for all
the help I get from my staff--and the students. ;<)

Tom Kaun

--
Thomas T. Kaun
Teacher Librarian