CIVIL RIGHTS DOCUMENTATION PROJECT
http://www.congresslink.org/civilrights/index.htm

The landmark civil rights legislation of the mid-1960s has attracted considerable
scholarly attention, deservedly so. Much of the analysis of this legislation has
centered on the social and cultural conditions that gave birth to such laws as the
Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

As valuable as the emphasis on the civil rights movement has been, an equally vital
chapter has been neglected -- the story of the legislative process itself. The
Civil Rights Documentation Project provides a fuller accounting of law-making based
on the unique archival resources housed at The Dirksen Congressional Center --
http://www.dirksencenter.org -- including the collection of then-Senate Minority
Leader Everett McKinley Dirksen (R-IL), widely credited with securing the passage
of the bills.

Intended to serve the needs of teachers and students, The Civil Rights
Documentation Project demonstrates that Congress is capable of converting big ideas
into powerful law, that citizen engagement is essential to that process, and that
the public policies produced forty years ago continue to influence our lives.

The project takes the form of an interactive, Web-based presentation with links to
more than 100 digitized historical materials and other Internet-based resources
about civil rights legislation created by museums, historical societies, and
government agencies. We hope to provide resources teachers can use to create lesson
plans and materials to supplement their teaching of the legislative process, of
recent American history, and of the civil rights movement, among other social
studies topics.

Take a look and please contact Frank Mackaman at mailto:fmackaman@dirksencenter.org
if you have any ideas or comments about this resource. We always value your
feedback.

Cindy Koeppel
The Dirksen Congressional Center
http://www.dirksencongressionalcenter.org