Thanks to everyone who responded - your comments were very helpful!

If by "Active Board" you are referring to a Promethean IWB, then I have definite
opinions regarding the two.  The differences between the two are quite large.
However, to keep it simple, just look at the ease of use and cost of the two.
Promethean is the clear winner.  I have much more experience with a Promethean IWB,
but I was trained on a Smartboard.  I went to this training before I had ever used
any interactive white board.  After the Smartboard training, I decided I didn't
need one.  I had to be convinced to go to the Promethean training.  I was instantly
hooked.  If one is to use an IWB, of any type, as more than a glorified chalkboard,
one needs to have the students working with it.  The Promethean IWB's software is
much more intuitive, and the elementary level software is quite easy to work with.
There is just too much to compare for a short email, but I do encourage you guys to
look into capabilities and cost before you make your decision.

_________________________________

Our district invested in ActivBoards for our K-12 classrooms, and they are
wonderful tools.  I can't imagine teaching without one.

The short statement on the difference is that an ActivBoard can do everything a
Smartboard can do, but a Smartboard can't do everything an ActivBoard can do.  The
ActivBoard has more robust interactive features.  Promethean, the vendor, provides
wonderful support and a few of our teachers have become national trainers.

Good luck -

_________________________________

We have several ActivBoards in our school, and they are great.  They are much more
interactive than our Smart Boards, and the software is all education related.  They
have become an important part of teaching at our school

Evie Kremyar, Teacher Librarian
Seton Catholic School
6923 Stow Road
Hudson, Ohio 44236
(330) 342-4200 (main office)
(330) 342-8134 (library)
kremyare@setoncatholicschool.org
"At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold, that
magic threshold into a library, we change their lives forever, for the better."
Barack Obama