Here's a posting on the Dewey Blog about intelligent design:
Duane T. Gish's *Dinosaurs by
design<http://worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/isbn/0890511659>
* (Creation-Life, 1992): a nice-looking volume. Check out the publishers'
blurb<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0890511659/103-2605746-7811829?v=glance>:
"In art quality and detailed information on these mysterious beasts, this
book [written for a juvenile audience] rivals that of any secular source.
However, the strong Biblical theme makes it unique among dinosaur resource
books. Offers plausible explanations for believing that man walked with
dinosaurs." Almost 200 WorldCat libraries have a copy; we've got one right
here at the Library of Congress. Not that we normally like to give much
publicity to The Other System, but LC classes this work at
QE862.D5Dinosaurs. To be precise, that's Dinosaurs as in
Geology--Paleozoology--Chordata--Vertebrates--Reptiles--Systematic
divisions, A-Z--Dinosaurs. In other words -- science. The corresponding DDC
number for comprehensive works on dinosaurs is *567.9 Reptilia*, also under
paleozoology and (ultimately) *500 Natural sciences*. But is *Dinosaurs by
design* really a book about science? Catalogers discussing this work on the
AUTOCAT <http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/archives/autocat.html> mailing
list have questioned that interpretation, arguing that, since the intent of
the author is to present "intelligent design" as an alternative to
prevailing scientific theories of evolution, it is a religious rather than a
scientific work and should be classed in the 200s. There's an extensive DDC
Manual note at *231.7652 vs. 213, 500, 576.8* (*Relation of scientific and
Christian viewpoints of origin of universe vs. Creation in philosophy of
religion vs. Natural sciences and mathematics vs. Evolution*) that is
intended to help with dilemmas of this kind, and in this particular case the
following extract is relevant: "[W]hen a religious author is trying to
enlighten scientists on a specific scientific matter, class the work with
science, while if a scientist is trying to enlighten the religious on a
specific religious matter, class the work with religion. The correct
classification is determined by the intent of the author, and the interest
of the readers that the author is seeking to reach, not by the truth,
falsity, or validity of interpretations and premises." On this basis, we're
ready to concur that the most helpful main class for a work that presents a
creationist, faith-based explanation of a specific natural phenomenon that
is normally explained using the scientific method is science.

On Feb 8, 2008 11:43 AM, Linda Elliott <lelliott60@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have several books on Intelligent Design for our Theory of Knowledge IB
> class.  Almost everything I find is classifying it in 576.8, however, I
> have also seen 231.7 as another option and 213.  Our science teachers feel
> it is more appropriate for the religion section.
>
> Where do you classify it and what DDC call number are you using?
>
> Linda Elliott
> Library Media Teacher
> Pleasant Valley High School
> 1475 East Avenue
> Chico, CA  95926
> 530-879-5197
> lelliott60@yahoo.com

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html