Richie's Picks: ZEN TIES by Jon J. Muth,  Scholastic Press, February 2008,
40p. ISBN: 0-439-63425-3

"The trouble is, now that I've heard what Pam has to say about  him, I can't
see him as 100% cranky anymore, or 100% terrible, or 100% anything  except
maybe 100% human and I'm not so sure I like that.  Because when you  get down to
it, thinking of somebody as 100% human seriously gets in the way of  hating
them." -- Bobby Goodspeed in THE MISFITS by James Howe

In the same manner that Bobby Goodspeed's  perspective changes in THE MISFITS
as he gets to really know the grouchy  adult Mr. Kellerman (referred to as
"Killerman" behind his back), the young  characters in ZEN TIES gain valuable
insight through  their spending time with an elderly neighbor.
In this sequel to Jon Muth's Caldecott Honor book ZEN  SHORTS, Koo -- who
speaks exclusively in haiku poetry -- comes to  visit his panda bear Zen master
Uncle Stillwater for a  week.  Meeting up with the trio of young siblings from
ZEN  SHORTS -- Addy, Michael, and Karl -- they all come  to truly know
Stillwater's elderly friend Miss Whitaker who has  previously appeared to the
children as being a grouchy old  woman.  It turns out that she is actually talented
and caring but her  true nature is oftentimes masked by her fear, loneliness,
and ill  health.
There is also a second aspect of ZEN TIES that got me  excited.  It relates
to a seemingly minor part of the story in  which Stillwater has Koo retain a
disposable cup for  later reuse.  This is explained at the end in the author's
notes:
"The idea of the disposable cups was inspired by Soen Nakagawa  Roshi
(1907-1984).  He once led a retreat in which equipment for serving  food was very
scarce so students used the same paper cups for tea all week  long.  When the
retreat was over, Soen Roshi told the students they could  throw away their cups.
 The students refused, saying the cups having been  with them all week during
his teaching, were now precious.  Soen Nakagawa's  teaching, and his art and
poetry revealed the unexpected in the  ordinary.  He was an important figure
in the transmission of Japanese Zen  Buddhism to the West."
I have spent this week feeling a great deal of  discomfort as a result of
what I learned about plastic garbage from  reading TRACKING TRASH by Loree
Griffin Burns.  I consider myself an  environmentalist, yet I regularly -- and
without a thought -- use  plastic bags from the rolls at the produce market.   I do
reuse most of them but eventually they all get  discarded.  The fact is, I
don't really keep track of how many I use  or how many times they get reused as
they all look the same.  But thanks to Jon Muth's lesson in ZEN TIES, and the
information in Loree  Burns' eye-opening TRACKING TRASH, I have decided to try
being more conscious of  the plastic bags by attempting a new practice.
The other day at Andy's Produce in Sebastopol I was my habitual  self.  I
took a plastic bag from the roll for some organic carrots,  another for a
cucumber, and a third for some mixed salad greens.  I have  just pulled all three
of
them from the refrigerator in  order to give each a name.  Now one of those
bags is permanently  labeled Bobby, the second, Skeezie, and the third Addie
(after my old friends  who are three of the four main characters in THE MISFITS).

I am going to similarly attempt to name all future  newcomers.  Just as I
knew in the early Eighties that I had too many goats  -- given the way I was so
rapidly using up Grateful Dead song  titles for goats' names -- I will
hopefully come to a much  clearer recognition of how many plastic bags are coming
into
my possession  and what becomes of them.  Just as Julia Butterfly raised our
collective  consciousness by personifying and individualizing a tree by naming
it Luna,  I will try to raise my own consciousness by naming bags.
"Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism,  that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m." -- John Lennon
Actually, you might be familiar with another practice  involving bags.  Every
year many students from around the country  participate in the Earth Day
Groceries Project, decorating paper grocery bags  which get returned to the
participating grocer; customers then become  enlightened by viewing the artwork and

environmental messages on the individualized grocery bags.  (You  can check
out this worthwhile program at _www.earthdaybags.org_
(http://www.earthdaybags.org/) .)
In ZEN TIES, Jon Muth gently reminds us that "we  are all connected and
interdependent whether we recognize our neighbor's face or  not," and that, "It is
easy to believe we are each waves and forget we are also  the ocean."  And
through his sharing of Soen Roshi's  lesson he provides a simple and powerful
example to all of us who  are so immersed in today's gotta-be-new,
consumption-crazy, throw-away  culture where sometimes even our elders are tossed
aside.
Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com