Hello

I am very frustrated and maybe you can help me.

I work in 2 kindergarten centers where I spend 2/1/2 days a week in each and
where I see most of the students (about 560 total ) once a week for about 35
minutes. They spend 10 minutes on the computer and take out books at the
same time (learning letters and sounds), the rest of the time they listen to
story (while doing either wh questions, directional skills, frequently used
words, rhyming words etc), do nursery rhymes, finger play activities,
library skills, sing a song, do an activity with topic of the month (e.g.
Black History month). I teach 6 classes a day plus I take care of the
automation system and what is required to mainain the library and plus lunch
duties or staying after school and conducting workshops for parents.I have
no help.

I am requested in one of schools to have 2 bulletin boards monthly , one
outside the library and one inside. The principal (new) does not want just
coloring. He wants bulletin boards that reflect *the book of the
month (which he chooses)together with the progress of the students in
library skills*. Now all the teachers have to work with the book of the
month too and they have beautiful boards that reflect the theme of the book.
The principal is not satisfied with my bulletins which so far had either
children coloring, connecting dots, writing the author, title, publisher and
copyright of the book of the month.

Actually, teachers told me that the children like to come to the library and
if I'll make them sit and write (which they do the whole day) they'll not
like library time. I have tried to explain to the principal that I am not
their teacher and I do not spend a lot of time with them and I have to
maintain a library, but it does not help.

If you have any ideas for helping me in this difficult situation please do
so.

Madeleine zember
kindergarten librarian
Hempstead School District NY