Wow, there sure was a flurry of responses to my TARGET about the average age of
your library collections! Perhaps my inquiry compares apples to oranges, since
different Dewey sections have different age recommendations for currency. Taking
the nonfiction section (and breaking that down into different Dewey sections)
provides a more accurate view of what parts of your collection need weeding and
updating. However, my question was not so much about weeding (as I am fortunate to
have a committee of 4 volunteers who assist me with our weeding and help me make
progress) as it was wanting to know what the overall average age of other school
libraries are. The information offered gave me a helpful sense of being on the
right track, and not being so far afield as I might have thought we were. So, for
what it is worth, here are some broad comparisons:

ELEMENTARY &/OR MIDDLE SCHOOLS:

AK: k-6 school, 16,298 books, average age: 1987
CA: K-8, 12,400 books, average age: 1991
CA: K-8, 22,300 books, Average age: 1992
DE: K-5 school, 10,453 items, average age: 1994
ID: 7-9 school, 17,500 books, average age 1994
IN: K-5, 7,900 books, 1995
MN: PreK-5 School, 22,963 holdings, average age: 1993
NC: K-5 school, 6,698 books, average age 1993
ND: Elem, 14,863, I have an average age of 1992
NJ: 5-8 middle school, 5000 books, average age of 1986
TN: K-5 School, 9,675 books, average age: 1993
TX: PK-6 school, 18,872 holdings, average age 1990
TX: K-8 school, 14,005 books, average age is 1991.
TX: 6-8 Grade  17,303 books, average age 1992
WA: 7-9, 9,000 items, average age 1984
WI: 1-4 building, 10,300 books, average age of 1991.
WI: PK-5, 9,300 books, Av. age 1994
?:    6-8 school, 19,202 books, average age: 2000
?:    PreK-5 school,  9,200 books, average age 1995

HIGH SCHOOLS:

AZ: High School, 35,000 books, average age: 1979
CA: High school, 4,000 books, average age: 1991
CO: 6-12 library, 7,500 items, average age: 1983
IA: high school level, 12500 books, average age: 1994
LA: 6-12 school, 3,102 books, average age:1992
MI: 9-12 school, 12,000 books, average age 1978
OK: 10-12 school, 11,000+ books, average age: 1993
SC: 10-12 school, 18,574 books, average age: 1996
TX: High school, 23,534 books, average age is 1995
TX: 9-12 school, 19,246 books, Ave. Age 1987
WI: 6-12, 10,000 books, Av. Age 1986

Many suggested utilizing the tools and weeding recommendations found at Sunlink’s
website. Others, like Shonda  Brisco pointed to the CREW Manual online:
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/pubs/crew/toc.html or
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/pubs/crew/index.html

Dianne Meyer wrote: The collection analyses are only helpful in framing a
plan/direction for continuing development. Of course, vendors want you to assess
your status so that you will eventually replace titles with their offerings.  But
we all know that research shows that students are drawn to fresh titles, and
shelves that are groomed/weeded are more enticing than the over-loaded ones with
tattered, well-used/loved books.

Lynn Johnson wrote: It is better to have a smaller collection than an outdated
(one). Sunlink http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu also has great advice on weeding.

Several responders pointed out that classics, older award winners and fairy tales
tend to have old copyright dates which bring down the average age of a collection.
That is why Colleen Tew replied that “the real age you need to worry about is your
non-fiction, except poetry.  Much of your non-fiction needs to be 5 years or less.
You might want to check by Dewey 100’s for the age.  Fiction is quite flexible in
age.  You don’t want someone telling you to weed a Dr. Seuss book because it was
written before 1990.  Classic fiction doesn’t really fit into the age factor.  On
the other hand non- classic fiction does need to be weeded if it isn’t being
checked out.”

Kathleen Moore said: “Check out this website http://www.ccasl.org/PD4.html and
click on Standards for School Library Resource Core Collections as you scroll you
will see the rubric for exemplary, etc. and the age of
the collections for the libraries. I try to follow this and don't quite succeed -
not enough money.

Thanks for the HITS.

Gail Brubaker, Librarian
srvca.library@comcast.net