Dear Colleagues
Are you, your school or your community developing or involved in initiatives that
are recognising
and overcoming the digital divide between home and school that sees students
leading "high tech
lives outside school and decidedly low tech lives inside school." (2007 Illinois
Institute of Design
think tank on Digital Schooling)

Would you be willing to share these with two Australian academics who are examining
the issue?  If
so, then please read the invitation below.

PLEASE RESPOND TO EITHER MAL  <mailto:mallee@mac.com> mailto:mallee@mac.com OR GLENN
<mailto:g.finger@griffith.edu.au> mailto:g.finger@griffith.edu.au NOT ME!

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA

E. barbara.288@bigpond.com
Together we learn from each other

HOME-SCHOOL INITIATIVES - CALL FOR INTERESTED PARTIES/SCHOOLS/EDUCATION
AUTHORITIES/ORGANISATIONS

Dear Colleagues

Dr Glenn Finger, from Griffith University, Australia and I are undertaking the
preparatory work on a
publication on The Home-School Nexus -  and the Development of Networked School
Communities.

The publication is intended as both a theoretical and highly practical guide for
school leaders
across the developed world.

We are deeply concerned about the ever-growing divide between the use made of
digital technology in
the home and that in the classroom.

Lee and Winzenried in their History of the Use of Instructional Technology in
Schools (2008) have
concluded that the most commonly used instructional technologies in schools in the
developed world
in 2007 were still the pen, paper and the teaching board - be it black, green or
white.

As you know the young in their homes across the developed world -including many
parts of Asia - have
embraced the everyday use of a plethora of digital media, and most importantly are
developing
significant skills, competencies and attributes.

The 2007 Illinois Institute of Design think tank on Digital Schooling, that
involved thinkers like
Charles Handy and Gary Hamel, concluded:

"Kids lead high tech lives outside school and decidedly low tech lives inside
school.  This new
'divide' is making the activities inside school appear to have less real world
relevance to kids."

"The learning experiences of the kids outside school are increasingly more relevant
to modern life
than what is learned inside school. . . .  Kids are increasingly motivated and
engaged by what they
learn in out-of-school programs and in their virtual online lives, and mechanisms
for capturing and
enabling them must be found." (2007:24)

Glenn and I want not only to redress that growing divide, but to assist create a
genuine nexus
between the home and the school, to build on the vital learning in the home and to
take advantage of
the technological advances to move away from the present 'stand alone' mode of
schooling, to
networked school communities.

We would like to liaise with and feature those folk, schools and education
authorities - wherever
they are in the world - that have made moves to redress the divide and develop a
home - school
nexus.

We are keen to hear from or learn about those folk, schools, education authorities
or organisations
that have made moves to network the learning of the school and home, and enhance
the quality and
appropriateness of the education.

We appreciate that most of those initiatives will be in a particular area, rather
than across the
total school, but that matters not.  Whether it be the recognition of home based
learning, moves to
support the disadvantaged in their homes, the recognition of home learning, the
provision of online
out of hours tutoring or the 24/7 provision of information services we would like
to feature all
those kind of efforts.

If you or your organisation is interested in liasing please do email us at
mallee@mac.com or
g.finger@griffith.edu.au

If you know of the work of colleagues that would be of interest please do let us
know.

Kind regards

Mal Lee and Glenn Finger

Ph + 61 2 44717 947