Hi all,

You might have noticed I have been a bit quiet. In December and November I
was working on a PPT for educators about youth risk online. I decided over
the holidays that this was too long - but was the outline for a book. So I
wrote the book. (Yes, you now know I am certifiable.) The working title is
Youth Risk Online: A Guide for Adults Who Work With Children and Teens.

This covers similar material to my parent book Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy
Teens - but in a very reduced format, without all of the parenting guidance.
My hope is that it will be the kind of book that professors will use for
pre-service classes and will be useful for in-service instruction as well. I
will also have a PPT. This is research-based and no fear-mongering.

My problem is that the publisher of my parent book is concerned that this
new book will compete with their book - and there is a non-compete provision
in my contract. Unfortunately (not really ;-)) a lot of you wonderful folks
who have purchased my parent book and so she knows that librarians and
teachers have been purchasers.

So I was hoping that some of you who have purchased my parent book,
especially if you are a professor or provide professional development, might
be willing to send me a message that I can include in a packet for her,
stating something like that my parenting book is great, but not appropriate
for professional development. And that you think that a companion book that
covers the same material would be something that would be very helpful and
would likely sell my parent book - because that is what the professionals
will purchase for their library and recommend to parents. I know some of you
have purchased my book for your school library - for parents to check out.
If you have, you could mention that. The point is not that my new book will
sell and is needed - but that my new book will not compete with my parent
book and will promote sales of my parent book.

If you send me a message, I want permission to forward this to her. Thanks
bunches in advance.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)