Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback. MySpace has been running what I consider to
be a horrendous quiz called "Are you emo?" This may also be used on other
sites. Here is the URL for the actual quiz: http://quizrocket.com/emo-quiz

Here is one of the questions:
Emo kids cut themselves, or at least we hear they do. Thoughts?
      Dude, emo is whacked
      If it helps you to feel something, then go for it
      Scars from legit stuff is one thing, intentional cutting is a bit much
      Cutting is lame, blood is neat, though.

My 14 YO daughter has actually been experiencing problems with other
students calling her "emo." This is the first time I have heard of this
particular insult.

I am planning a challenge against MySpace. I am interested in feedback on
whether you have seen an increase in the use of this insult in your schools.
Stories welcome.

Note as you read the questions that they are not interested in emo at all.
Most of the questions are related to what the kids spend money on. And there
is a notice on the bottom that the information will be provided to third
parties. Note from the privacy (so-called) privacy:

Registration with QuizRocket is required to participate in the QuizRocket
quiz, or in any other promotion or contests run by QuizRocket. This Privacy
Policy also applies to consumers that have agreed to receive e-mail
marketing from QuizRocket and QuizRocket's joint marketing advertisers
("Advertisers") , whether at our Website, via email, on third party
websites, via co-registration or otherwise. QuizRocket collects user
information on certain portions of our Website, through methods which
include, but are not limited to, responding to questions and surveys,
registering for the site, or through various offers provided on site. The
personal profile information you submit to QuizRocket and Advertisers
remains your property, but by submitting that information to QuizRocket you
grant QuizRocket the right to use that information for marketing purposes
including, but not limited to, sharing such information via co-registration
with Advertisers. QuizRocket may also use such information to deliver
certain direct marketing offers to you via telemarketing, e-mail marketing,
direct mail, SMS messaging and other types of direct marketing, fulfill
prizes, track compliance with our QuizRocket Rules, or for content
improvement and feedback purposes. We may sell the personal information that
you supply to us to selected third parties. These businesses may include,
but are not limited to: (a) providers of direct marketing services to via
telemarketing, e-mail marketing, direct mail, SMS messaging and other types
of direct marketing; and (b) providers of applications, including lookup and
reference, data enhancement, suppression and validation.

My perspective is that this group is using a real social problem to obtain
market profile information and likely causing more problems.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)