So I have had an incredible number of across the board responses to my
request for input on the Are you Emo? quiz. Emo is merely another term like
prep, jock, nerd, punk. Emo is emotionally disturbed. Emos are emotive,
sensitive. A kind of music. Students who cut themselves. Teen girls one week
out of four (boy, can I relate to that being a mom of a 14 YO girl!) Finally
someone posted this source of definitions.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

I am too busy to be so confused. And I am not going to challenge MySpace
(and apparently other social networking sites have the same survey) on this
until I have a moment to get unconfused (if ever). <sigh>

I think the more important issue is the need to educate students about what
these surveys actually are and how to handle situations if they just want to
have fun looking at the questions - without actually providing accurate
information.

There are major concerns about the term "privacy." "Privacy protections" on
social networking sites - this does not really mean private. "Privacy
policies" that basically indicate that the company will take and sell any
information you provide - some privacy.

Thanks bunches to those who responded. I know I can always count on you
guys. :-)

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)