From: Barbara COMBES <b.combes@ECU.EDU.AU>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:20:55 PM
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Share: The Dumbest Generation (update)

Hi All,
My PhD study is about this generation. Yes they do use email extensively
for communication and the social networking sites as an alternative to
email. They are not socially inclusive and tend to lock these sites down
and converse only with people they know. They are actually discerning
users of technology and their use is based on need rather than
ubiquitious use because the technology is there and they can have access
to it. As their needs change so does their use of the technology. The
net generation theory is basically flawed as it is predicated on
familiarity - ie. students are faniliar with technology therefore they
know how to use it intuitively. Does this mean that individuals born
into a time when cars were a major part of the transport landscape (ie
we are familiar with cars), drive, like to drive and drive well?

Think about it! Certainly anecdotal evidence tells us that this
generation use the technology and have no fear of it, but they don't
actually understand how it works and are (like veryone else) surface
users of a lot of technology. They also have poor information skills.
This attitude towards technology has fed the theory and the fact that
they are very confident and to a degree believe the theory themselves,
means they often don't know they don't know! Net Geners are also task
switchers and in a world where there is so much information, have become
adept at information filtering. An issue here is that when they need to
interrogate information in depth, many do not have the skills or the
patience to do this successfully. Why TLs in schools are such a
necessary part of the teaching equation if we are going to graduate
future citizens who can really cope in an information society.

I will be presenting some of the findings of my study at the IASL
Conference in Berkeley California in early August - would love to see
you there (link below).
:)
BC

Vice President, Advocacy & Promotion, IASL: www.iasl-online.org
LIS@ECU: http://www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/LIS/index.php
Transforming Information and Learning Conference
http://conferences.scis.ecu.edu.au/TILC2007/
Barbara Combes, Lecturer
School of Computer and Information Science Edith Cowan University, Perth
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: b.combes@ecu.edu.au

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify me immediately by return email or telephone and destroy
the original message.