Hi all,

Senator Kerry has just introduced S. 3016 This bill would authorize $50
million in Internet crime prevention education funding spanning fiscal years
2008 through 2012.  However, half of this funding, $25 million would be
earmarked for i-SAFE. i-SAFE is only one of many nationally recognized
organizations that offer Internet safety education programs and this
earmarked funding is disproportionate to the overall funding authorized in
the bill.

A far better approach that represents a positive step forward to prevent
on-line child victimization is embodied in S. 2344, the Internet Safety
Education Act.  S. 2344 is a bipartisan bill unanimously approved in
December by the Senate Judiciary Committee.  S. 2344 would authorize $50
million for a competitive grant program open to all eligible organizations
to carry out Internet safety education programs spanning fiscal years 2008
through 2012.

My review of the I-safe curriculum is on my blog at:
http://csriu.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/my-review-of-i-safe/. This review is
based on the expertise I have gained in my 14 years in the field of Internet
safety - with a prior professional background in addressing youth risk.

The best way to ensure quality in the provision of Internet safety education
is through a competitive grant program - so the government agency can award
based on quality - not grant funding based on who has on connections on the
hill.

I do not think that email gets through. Here are the phone numbers. Please
call today.

Senator Kerry's phone number is (202) 224-2742

Other bill sponsors are
Norm Coleman 202-224-5641
Lisa Murkowski 202-224-6665
Joe Lieberman (202) 224-4041
Sheldon Whitehouse 202-224-2921

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)