Original target:  What professional books on teaching, education, and/or
librarianship would you recommend?

I am thinking along the lines of:
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
The World is Flat by Friedman
School of Dreams by Hume
The Gatekeepers by Steinberg
Wikinomics by Tapscott and Williams
Stuff by Jonathan Kozol

You get the picture ... What other stuff might you recommend?  I'll post
a hit.

Hit...

Thanks to:  Robin Boltz, Anne Coughlin, Jane Frizzell, Pamela Thompson,
Diane Mankowski, Judith L. Chelekis, Linda Martin, Nicole Sette, Debra
Wilhoit, Ruth Jean Shaw,

Recommendations:

Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain-Maryann
Wolf

The World Without Us-Alan Weisman

The Principal's Guide to a Powerful Library Media Program-Marla McGhee
and Barbara Jansen.

Teacher Man-McCourt

A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers Will Ruin the World-Daniel Pink

Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise into Practice-Kylene Beers, Bob
Probst and Linda Rief

Bringing the Outside In: Visual Ways of Engaging Reluctant Readers-Sarah
Kajder

Subjects Matter-Zemelman and Daniels

Reading Don't Fix No Chevys-Smith and Wilhelm

Do I Really Have to Teach Reading-Cris Tovani (Others by Tovani as well)

Dream Society - Jensen

Teacher-Frank McCourt

Reading Lolita in Tehran

Quiet Please-Scott Douglas

Free for All-Don Borshardt (sp)

Dewey-Vicki Myron

The Last Lecture-Randy Pausch

Dave

Dave Wee, Librarian
Harvard-Westlake Middle School
700 North Faring Road
Los Angeles, California 90077
Phone -- (310) 288-3270
E-mail -- dwee @ hw dot com

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians."
~~ Monty Python ~~