We had some friends over last night and started talking about books.  I said
I was really enjoying listening to Diana Galbadon books, but it could be off
putting at times having to listen to all of the sex scenes. The reply was
that her mother, in her late 80's received The Persimmon Tree for Christmas.
When her mother finished it, she gave it to her daughter smiling and saying
that it was a very good book but, it did have a bit of sex in it.

I again thought of a sit com that I watched as a teenager.  The main
character was part of a committee which had to read a box of books to see if
they were appropriate for the public library.  I can only remember one of
the books in the box, Moby Dick.  Because the committee was told that there
was questionable content in the books, they searched for things. With Moby
Dick, they decided that it was unsuitable because of the descriptions of the
whale's mating habits.

In the end they found out that their box of books got mixed up with a
"little old ladies" reading group box.  The ladies thoroughly enjoyed their
risqué books!

Dona

On 10/2/08 10:50 AM, "Richard Tabis" <tabis@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Regarding my request for similar authors to Victoria Holt for my 91-year-old
> mother, how could I forget to include Phyllis Whitney and Ann Rinaldi? Also,
> someone warned that
>  LaVyrle Spencer and Jude Devereaux may not appeal to my request for no sex
> or language problems.
> Thanks again for all your suggestions.
>
> Lois Tabis, Librarian
> Sharpsville Area Middle & High School
> Sharpsville, PA 16150
> tabis@roadrunner.com

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Want to raise test scores?  School libraries help.  Make school libraries a
priority.
Dona J. Hartwich
Senior Librarian and ICT Coordinator
Horsham College