Here is the result of the half-day meeting of the
fourth grade teachers compiling a list of picture
books to teach writing and reading.  It includes
some suggestions LM_NET people gave to me that I
gave the teachers.  I hope this works....I just
cut and pasted the chart the coordinator sent me.
Johanna
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)
80 Powder Mill Rd, Southwick, MA 01077
JH@newsonglibrary.org

Exploring Reading Skills/Strategies with Picture Books

Creating Pictures with Words/ Visualizing

Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe
The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
Where Have the Unicorns Gone? by Jane Yolen
There was Dinosaur in the Park by Rodney Martin (in 4th grade file cabinet)
More Night by Muriel Rukseyer
Imagine a Night by Rob Gonsalves
Imagine a Day by Sarah L. Thomson
Water Dance by Thomas Locker
Mountain Dance           "
Cloud Dance                 "   Unforgettable Language

Where Have the Unicorns Gone? by Jane Yolen
Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe
Listen to the Rain by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
Crickwing by Janell Cannon
Come on Rain by Karen Hesse
I Wish I Were a Butterfly by James Howe
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen  Time/ Sequencing

Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan
Look to the North  by Jean Craighead
George
Come on Rain by Karen Hesse
The Hickory Chair by  Lisa Rowe Fraustino
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Rotten Ralph by Jack Gantos
Pigsty by Mark Teague
Girl vs Wave by Scott Bass
Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco
Books with Strong Characters

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
A Weekend with Wendell by Kevin Henkes
Through Grandpa's Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan
The Paper Bag Princess  by Robert N. Munsch
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Louis the Fish by Arthur Yorinks
Brave Irene by William Steig
No, David! by David Shannon
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
        Setting
Roxaboxen by Barbara Cooney
Island Boy         "
Miss Rumphius     "
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
The Island of the Skog by Steven Kellogg
Too Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg
When I was Young in the Mountains by
Cynthia Rylant
Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
Up North of the Cabin by Marsha Wilson Chall    Point of View/ Narration

The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume
The Emperor's New Clothes
The Other Side  by Jacqueline Woodson
Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say
Somebody and the Three Blairs  by
Marilyn Tolhurst
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
Blame it on the Wolf  (Scott Foresman
Cause and Effect

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
If You Give a Moose a Muffin      "
If You Give a Pig a Pancake           "
If You Take a Mouse to School       "
Never Ride Your Elephant to School by
Doug Johnson
Emma's Rug by Allen Say

        Theme

The Great Kapok Tree by Lynn Cherry
Big Al by Andrew Clements
The Other Side  by Jacqueline Woodson
Salt in His Shoes by Deloris Jordan
The English Rose  by Madonna
Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna
Mirette on the High Wire by Emily McCully
Goin' Someplace Special  by Patricia McKissack
Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting
The Wall                  "     Mood/Tone

Smoky Night  by Eve Bunting
The Ghost-Eye Tree by Bill Martin Jr.
Ghost Ship by Mary Higgins Clark

Context Clues

Baloney (Henry P. ) by Jon Scieszka

        Text Structure

Crickwing by Janell Cannon
Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
        Compare and Contrast

The Three Little Javelinas by Susan Lowell

The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas

Conflict

Crickwing by Janell Cannon (man vs. man,
  man vs. world)

Salt in His Shoes by Deloris Jordan
(man vs. self)

Bootsie Barker Bites by Barbara Bottner

        Drawing Conclusions

The Summer My Father Was Ten by Pat Brisson     Dialect

Flossie and the Fox by Patricia McKissack

The Talking Eggs by Robert D. San Souci

Exploring Writing Skills/Strategies With Picture Books

Strong Leads

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (setting)
Tight Times by Barbara Shook Hazen (dialogue)
Earrings by Judith Viorst
Night in the Country by Cynthia Rylant
The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst (problem)
Grandpa's Teeth by Rod Clement (dialogue)
Eleanor by Barbara Cooney (intro. main char.)
There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (end/flashback)
The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash by Trinka Noble (end/flashback)
The Hickory Chair by Lisa Rowe Fraustino        Voice

Earrings by Judith Viorst
The Bear Under the Stairs by Helen Cooper
The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume
The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Dandelions by Eve Bunting
Edward and the Pirates by David McPhail
The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey
The Wednesday Surprise by Eve Bunting
The Frog Principal by Stephanie Calmenson
Brave Irene by William Steig
I Stink by Kate & Jim Mcmullan
I Lost My Bear by Jules Feiffer
Hey, Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose
Come on Rain by Karen Hesse

        Shapes of Stories

Circular:           Circles around
back to the beginning
The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
Louis the Fish by Arthur Yorinks
Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg

Snapshot Images:
Each page stands out by itself, but is tied together by common theme
When I Was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant
If You Were Born a Kitten by Marion Dane Bauer

Triangular:        Climax

         Story starts             Resolution
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox

Half and Half:

The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume
Endings

Straight to the Pole by Kevin O'Malley
Goin' Someplace Special  by Patricia McKissack
There was Dinosaur in the Park by Rodney Martin (in 4th grade file cabinet)
How Cold Was It? by Jane Barclay
Peppe the Lamplighter by Elisa Bartone
Paperboy by Dav Pilkey
The Paper Bag Princess  by Robert N. Munsch
One Smile by Cindy McKinley
How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long
Dory Story

        Rich Language

Come on Rain! by Karen Hesse
How Cold Was It? by Jane Barclay
Imagine a Night by Rob Gonsalves
Imagine a Day by Sarah L. Thomson
I Wish I Were a Butterfly by James Howe
Where Have the Unicorns Gone? by Jane Yolen
Brave Irene by William Steig
Hello Ocean by Pam Munoz Ryan
Crickwing by Janell Cannon
Beach Day! by Patricia Lakin
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

        Simile

Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood
Crickwing by Janell Cannon
Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin

Alliteration

Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke by Pamela Duncan Edwards
Some Smug Slug by Pamela Duncan Edwards
Clara Caterpillar by Pamela Duncan Edwards
Animalia  by Graeme Base
Rude Ramsay and the Roaring Radishes by Margaret Atwood

        Personification

Water Dance by Thomas Locker
Mountain Dance           "
Cloud Dance                 "
        Onomatopeia

I Stink by Kate & Jim Mcmullan
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
That's Good! That's Bad! (An Owlet Book) by Margery Cuyler

Transition Words

MeanwhileŠ by Jules Feiffer

        Spin off Ideas

Never Ride Your Elephant to School by Doug Johnson
The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown
Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James
Things That Are Most in the World by Judi Barrett
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett       Mechanics

Punctuation Takes a Vacation by Robin Pulver

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! by Lynne Truss

The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage
without Apostrophes! by Lynne Truss

Many Luscious Lollipops by Ruth Heller
Kites Sail High  by Ruth Heller
Merry-Go-Round by Ruth Heller
Mine, All Mine! by Ruth Heller

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)
80 Powder Mill Rd, Southwick, MA 01077
JH@newsonglibrary.org
"Another world is not only possible, she is on
her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her
breathing."  Arundhati Roy