A decision was handed down in a federal district court in California
that is going to present significant problems for schools in responding
to cyberbullying or sexting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-youtube-schools13-2009dec13,0,6677934.story?page=1

For students, a right to be mean online?
With schools meting out discipline for what they see as cyber-bullying,
some courts, parents and free speech advocates are pushing back.

"To allow the school to cast this wide a net and suspend a student
simply because another student takes offense to their speech, without
any evidence that such speech caused a substantial disruption of the
school's activities, runs afoul" of the law, U.S. District Judge Stephen
V. Wilson wrote in a 60-page opinion.

"The court cannot uphold school discipline of student speech simply
because young persons are unpredictable or immature, or because, in
general, teenagers are emotionally fragile and may often fight over
hurtful comments," he wrote.

Here is the fact situation:

One morning in May 2008, an eighth-grader walked into Janice Hart's
office at a Beverly Hills school crying.

She was upset and humiliated and couldn't possibly go to class, the girl
told the counselor. The night before, a classmate had posted a video on
YouTube with a group of other eighth-graders bad-mouthing her, calling
her "spoiled," a "brat" and a "slut." Text and instant messages had been
flying since. Half the class must have seen it by now, she told Hart.

This is a horrendous decision. One that I hope and expect will be
overturned on appeal. But in the meantime, I am pretty sure the school
insurance companies and school attorneys will be advising principals not
to suspend students for off-campus cyberbullying. I am not a fan of
suspension to resolve bullying situations, but many administrators are
just going to take the perspective that there is nothing they can do.

I still think there are things they can do - and am working on an
analysis of the case to set this forth. But it is a very bad decision.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online
Social Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use
the Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)