From: Sarles Patricia (18K500) [mailto:PSarles@schools.nyc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:07 AM
To: Sybil Finemel
Subject: RE: LM_NET: GEN: Kennedy Investigation Photos Now Available in
Archive

sybil, the link didn't work

could you resend?

______________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Jerome Parker Campus Library
100 Essex Drive
Staten Island, NY 10314
voice: 718 370-6950 x1321
fax: 718 370-6960
psarles@schools.nyc.gov

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months
passed without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so
truly free in my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to
the libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD

"Kids are living stories every day that we wouldn't let them read." -Josh
Westbrook

"The best morals kids get from any book is just the capacity to empathize
with other people, to care about the characters and their feelings. So you
don't have to write a preachy book to do that. You just have to make it a
fun book with characters they care about, and they will become better people
as a result." - Louis Sachar

"Our schools are filled with kids who have been treated badly all their
lives. They don't tell anyone, because there is shame in being treated
badly. Many-girls and boys-have been sexually mistreated. Still others
struggle in fear with sexual identity. They respond with eating disorders,
cutting, suicidal thought or action. I can't tell you how many letters I've
received from kids who found a friend in one of my books, a character who
speaks to them. And if I get those letters, think of the letters Walter Dean
Myers, or Lois Lowry, or Judy Blume get, thanking us for letting them know,
through literature, that they are not alone. In light of all that, there's
really only one thing to say to the censors. Shut up."-Chris Crutcher