> Date:    Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:15:06 +0800
> From:    Barbara COMBES <b.combes@ECU.EDU.AU>
> Subject: Re: AASL sandards
>
> Hi All, While we do need benchmarks and standards it is important to
> stress that information literacy is an evolving skills set that is
> driven by the technology agenda. As new technology comes on board, so
> too will new skills be required. The really important skills such as
> information management, location, evaluation, synthesis, information
> application, problem-solving and other higher order thinking skills
> remain the same/generic. Applying these to new technologies is evolving.
> :)
> BC

I am working on instructional objectives in the area of digital citizenship.
Right now 4 sections:

Foundational issues of making good decisions in the online environment,
posting information, interacting with others, keeping life in balance.

Sites and security issues including acceptable use agreements, computer
security and scams, online profiling and targeted marketing, social
networking protections, and avoiding accidental access.

Online risk issues including risky relationships and sexual activities,
electronic aggression, and unsafe online communities.

Lastly and likely of most interest to this group are digital media literacy
- consuming creating, collaborating, and convincing. So here they are. Your
feedback would be most helpful. I am going to be releasing materials that
incorporate the first 3 sets of objectives soon (working as hard as I can).
This latter part on digital media literacy will take more time.

Information Credibility
Students will describe how the Internet has allowed for the dissemination of
information without the traditional vetting of the accuracy of that
information.
Students will demonstrate skills in ascertaining the accuracy and
credibility of information provided through online resources.
Students will apply their understanding of assessment of credibility to
their own postings to ensure that others deem them to be a credible source.

Free Speech
Students will describe the benefits to a free society that are grounded in
the right of citizens to freely access and disseminate information.
Students will explain the boundaries on free speech related to certain types
of speech and places where speech might occur.

Accurate Attribution
Students will recognize how accurate attribution of sources of material in
their own writing will demonstrate respect for the authorship or creation of
prior works and strengthen the credibility of their own work.
Students will demonstrate the ability to conduct research using online
resources and prepare an original work that accurately cites or quotes prior
works.
Students will develop personal standards regarding academic honesty.

Copyright
Students will describe the benefits to creators and society that are
grounded in copyright law.
Students will describe the rights accorded to creators through copyright
law, including the right to control how others may reproduce, distribute,
modify, perform, or display the work.
Students will describe the purpose of fair use exceptions to the rights of
copyright owners and explain the standards for determining whether a
particular use is in accord with such standards, including whether such use
is for education and research or transformative use.

Publisher Responsibilities
Students will recognize how publication of information about others online
could cause harm to others and provide the basis for a civil action for
defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional
distress.
Students will describe legal standards for obtaining and disseminating
images of others.
Students will develop personal standards to guide their publication of
information or images of others.

Online Collaboration
Students will demonstrate skills in collaboration with others in an online
environment for the purpose of creating a joint work.
Students will demonstrate skills in discussing controversial information and
opinions in a manner that effectively presents their own opinion and
demonstrates respect for the opinions of other.
Students will demonstrate skills in online conflict resolution.

Effective Advocacy
Students will demonstrate skills in persuasive writing for advocacy material
they post online and comments made to material posted by others.

Nancy
--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)