(Sharon H, I have tried to respond to you twice to say "yes" you may post my
comments on market profiling on your FB, but your district's spam program
thinks I am trying to sell you a product you likely do not need. ;-))

So since others are going to read this, if you wonder about what I said
about market profiling, look at this privacy policy:
http://www.quizrocket.com/privacy

Of course, you will not be able to access this at school. But this is the
so-called privacy policy for one of the companies that has personality
quizzes on Facebook and MySpace. Here are some parts of the policy:

Registration: Registration is required to participate in Quiz Rocket
quizzes, or in any other promotion or contests run by Quiz Rocket. You will
be asked for PII as part of the registration process. ... PII collected at
registration may include email address, telephone number, gender, birth
date, age, street address, home town, country and postal code.

Additional PII: Additional PII may be collected through use of the site
including responses to questions , taking quizzes, surveys or polls, or
through various offers provided on site. Quiz Rocket may collect and retain
PII relating to email marketing sent to, and opened by, users on our
marketing list(s). Quiz Rocket may additionally run promotions that may ask
for additional demographic data.
Other sources: We may receive information about you from other sources,
including publicly available information or information available from third
party sources, such as updated delivery and address information from our
carriers or third parties, and add it to our account information, generally
for updating purposes. We may also obtain information about you through
optional co-registration and/or advertisements on sites operated by third
parties.

Now how are the going to use this information:

PII you submit to Quiz Rocket remains your property, but by submitting PII
to Quiz Rocket you grant Quiz Rocket the right to use that information for
marketing purposes including:

* Sharing such information whether at Quiz Rocket, via email, on third party
websites, via co-registration or otherwise with Advertisers

* Delivering certain direct marketing offers to you via telemarketing,
e-mail marketing, direct mail, SMS messaging and other types of direct
marketing unless you request for this information not to be disclosed to
third parties for marketing purposes using the opt out below or you have
previously opted out from your PII being disclosed to third parties for
marketing purposes.

Your PII is used in a variety of other ways, including:

* Ensuring better presentation of site content to match demographic
interests
* Customizing advertising on the site [in accordance with your preferences]
* Improving the site
* Contacting you regarding Quiz Rocket (including your registration with
Quiz Rocket)
* Fulfilling prizes
* Tracking compliance with our Quiz Rocket Rules
* Improving content and feedback purposes
* Confirming user registration with Quiz Rocket and co-registration with
Advertisers
* Combining with information from third party sources

Now this company does have an "opt out" process. But look at what is not
opted out. They are still keeping that information and combining it with
other information. And doing what?

And how many of your 13 YO students are going to have any understanding of
this whatsoever?? And how many of them read privacy policies. Or will they
read the first two lines:

"At Quiz Rocket, we are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the
information we collect from you to personalize your experience in accordance
with your preferences."  I saved this joke until after you read the above.

If you look at the quizzes, about half of the questions relate to the topic
of the quiz. The other half are all purchasing and interest questions.

The research on online predators clearly demonstrates that the teen are
going to meet with these guys knowing they are adults and intending to
engage in sex. These predators do not need a name and address to accomplish
this.

But when it comes to posting full name with address and phone number, my
guidance is only on a secure site for a legitimate purpose. However, almost
all young people are using their accurate full name on Facebook and MySpace.

Nancy
--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)