Hi all,

I have been rethinking about technology infrastructure. All that I have read
about 1:1 laptops has convinced me that these programs are a massive waste
of financial resources. I do not think we are anywhere near the point where
all of the teachers in any given school are ready to make really effective
use of computers. AND there are a whole heck of a lot of other learning
activities where computers are not necessary or appropriate. Like PE, Band,
Choir, etc. So even if fully implemented instructionally, for over half of
the day these expensive computers are serving as very heavy backpack weights
- or worse - are being used for "Internet recess" which is when misuse
occurs. AND on top of this are all of the concerns related to technical
support, breakage, etc. AND schools are broke.

Also it is time to admit it - all bets are off when it comes to reliance in
filtering. I am now hearing reports of elementary students (admittedly 5th
graders) who have figured out how to bypass the filter. So the only folks in
your schools who are actually blocked from accessing anything are the adult
staff. No amount of "wishing it were not so" - or false promises from the
filtering vendors will change this basic fact.

One of the major downsides of the reliance on filtering has been the
misperception that the technical services department can - and is
responsible for - preventing student misuse. So teachers have felt free to
take their little darlings to the lab to let them "explore the Internet" or
give them free time online as a " reward" - without engaging in sufficient
supervision.

So I have been thinking about what we really do need. And let me be clear -
this is my "thinking" which means I would really enjoy dialogue and am quite
open to someone telling me this is a dumb idea or can't be done. ;-)

Focus on providing appropriate computing devices (computers, netbooks, etc.)
where necessary to meet *instructional needs.*

All teachers need whiteboards.
Computers readily available for all language arts, science, and social
studies classes. Could be computers on wheels.
Computer labs for vocational classes - computer science, graphic arts,
newspaper, and the like.
Assistive and remedial uses - provide differentiated instruction for
students who are struggling.
Open labs in library or vocational class labs when not in use - for students
to do work outside of class. Labs should be open for a period of time after
school for use by students without home computers.

Filters still have some usefulness in preventing accidental access and in
defining probably boundaries for what is potentially not acceptable. But we
need 2 categories of blocking:

Potentially harmful to minors - obscenity, adult sex, gross, hate. Can only
be overridden with administrator approval. (eg a high school teacher may
need to teach about online hate.) Basically the CIPA requirements and a few
more.

Management restrictions - material that is generally not educational. All
teachers should have the authority to override these blocks for clearly
defined instructional use - have clear standards, maybe a reporting process
("overrode the filter on 12/5 to show students some YouTube videos related
to class discussion on ...) So we need to demand from filtering companies 2
override levels.

Shift from reliance on blocking to more effective watching. Remote access
monitoring in all schools, possibly intelligent content analysis monitoring.
Teachers required to supervise - good technique is random request to see
history file - 5 - 8 times per class period. Also, no just sending students
to library for "Internet recess."

System to allow teachers, especially in elementary schools, to "white list"
certain sites so these are the only sites that can be accessed (could be in
stages - these sites for the lesson and these sites for "reward or extra
credit). EduPlatform is a tool that does this - can be used to create
Internet resource-based lessons that can be easily shared.

Web 2.0 environment accessible from any computer/device (what are the
security concerns about this?) that has:

Separate section for teachers for ongoing professional dialogue/development,
mentoring, sharing of information, and sharing of lesson plans. This needs
to be set up ASAP.

Class webpages (with assignments, links to resources, etc.), blogs, wikis.
These should be private to the class or school - but there also should be a
way to showcase student work on a more open district site and to set up
collaborative interactions with students from other schools - or bring in
other experts. These need to be REALLY easy for teachers to set up.

Student password protected "work portfolio." (The argument for 1:1 laptops
is that students always have their work with them. If districts can set up
online work portfolios, then students would be easily able to access their
work from any computer or device.) From this portfolio, students should be
able to send documents to teachers, or post to the class blog or wiki.

So these are my thoughts for a new paradigm. What am I not thinking through
clearly? What are the barriers that I have not considered? What else is
needed? What is wrong with this? Or what is right?

For the record, my father was an inventor of food products (potato flakes
for instant mashed potatoes, among other things) - so my mode of operation
is to try something or to set something out and then try to figure out what
is not right and what needs to be fixed.

All best,

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)