Hi All,

  I've had some feedback lately about using abookandahug.com in the classroom or
with individual students.  Others have asked how to do it.

The wonderful folks at Teachersfirst.com have created a lesson plan.  I just got
this from Linda Ryan one of the Content Creators from Teachersfirst.com.

1.   Go to the homepage of Teachersfirst.com.    Then  click on Search up on the
top line/menu bar  The menu drops down and you can click on Keyword.

2.   Type in A Book and a Hug and the plan comes up.  There is a description of
abookandahug.com and then a block on Classroom Use.

 Here's the Lesson Plan:

In the Classroom:
This is a great source for finding and showing students how to find independent
reading. Introduce this site on your interactive whiteboard or projector. Since
students often ask for books like Harry Potter, for example, put this link on your
class web page. Show students how to click on the keywords once they find a
category they like. When students ask for another book in the same series, this is
a great place to start looking. Allowing reluctant readers to search and find their
own book is a way to build investment in their reading future. Encourage students
to write their own reviews of favorite books not found here. Use the site for a
lesson in citing sources and punctuating quotations.

I hope that helps everyone who's been interested in using the site with groups.  It
would be a great way to get kids to make a list of what books they plan to read
over the summer!

Very best,
Barb

Barb Langridge