Below are the responses I received for my search of ancient China and ancient Egypt
read aloud for elementary school. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Mary Catherine Coleman
Head Librarian and Lower School Librarian
St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School
Alexandria, VA
mcoleman@sssas.org<mailto:mcoleman@sssas.org>

At my Midlothian, Va. school we used the following books to read aloud and
correlate with SS Lessons about the Ancient Civilizations.  The Mystery of King
Karfu by Cushman and The Egyptian Cinderella by Climo.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Aliki's MUMMIES MADE IN EGYPT
Climo's EGYPTIAN CINDERELLA

something about the Terracotta Army (several, but not always easy to find).  Mine
is by Wm. Lindesay

there is a Jan Brett book with a China setting.
I have Marianna Mayer's TURANDOT and I think that is set in China.   It is quite
popular, amazingly enough.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The chinese examn isn't exactly ancient China, but it's still pretty old and a good
read. As is Lady of Ch'iao Kuo : Warrior of the South, Southern China, A.D. 53 by
Laurence Yep The Royal Diaries : Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile-57 B. C

These are some titles I have ordered for our Ancient CIv unit that teachers have
used:
Sumer:
Hubert Invents the Wheel by Claire Montgomery - this is funny!

Egypt:
The Cat of Bubastes by G.A. Henty
The Hour of the Cobra  by Maiya Williams
A Place in the Sun  by Jill Rubacala

China:
series by Carole Wilkinson, The Dragon Keeper
Between the Dragon and the Eagle by Mical Schneider

I have some by Demi that are folktales from ancient cultures.  You could also use
different versions of Cinderella.

Time cat by Lloyd alexander

Could you use some of the folktales from those countries? I retired in June, but as
I recall our collection had some. Can you search Follett to find other
possibilities. I wish I could offer more ideas, but perhaps someone else will.

Good luck,
Are there any Magic Tree House Books in those time periods? The kids love that
series.

If you go onto abookandahug.com and go to Find a Book in the top right hand
corner-scroll down through the keywords to Egypt and Asian Culture.  You may find
some other keywords that will work for you too.  Then, hit Search and a list will
come up.