I had a lot of great ideas for making colored sand.  What a great resource
this listseve is!

I was lucky enough to find reasonably priced colored sand at Walmart, and it
lasted FOREVER :)  What I did was use my cricut machine to cut out flowers
on clear contact paper.  Then the kids peeled the backing off, and sprinkled
colored on their flower to make it pretty!  They had so much fun!  I work
with 4 different groups, and was worried about having enough sand.  I bout 2
boxes- each containing 6 colors in little bags, and then bought a little
extra moon sand to have in case I needed it on the last day.  We didn't even
open the second box!  We decorated more than 70 flowers all from one box of
sand!  After each group, I would take what they spilled in their paper they
were working on, and combine it on one plate, for a 'rainbow' color.  I also
had small paper plates with each color on it, so they could use the colors
they liked best.  The great thing was, with using the contact paper, no glue
necessary!  The kids loved it!!

Thanks again for all the amazing ideas!!

--
Raynette Schulte
Young Adult Librarian