Richie's Picks: KALEIDOSCOPE EYES by Jen  Bryant, Knopf, May 2009, 272p.,
ISBN: 978-0-375-84048-7

"Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the twenty  seven
eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph  on the
back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog.  And then at  twenty seven
eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a  paragraph
on the back of each one and began to cry, 'cause Obie came to the
realization that it was a typical case of American blind justice, and there  wasn't
nothing he could do about it, and the judge wasn't going to look at the
twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and
 a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be
used as  evidence against us.  And we was fined $50 and had to pick up the
garbage  in the snow, but that's not what I came to tell you about.

"Came to talk  about the draft."

-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

The draft ended a couple of months before I turned  eighteen.  I didn't
come near having to make the decision  between what I saw -- given my beliefs
-- as my two real choices: going to  Canada or going to jail.

On my mother's side of the family, I have four older male  cousins who each
were of draft age during the height of the Vietnam War.   None of the four
had to serve a day.  Nor did they have to resort  to the alternatives I was
considering for myself.

Each of these four cousins were from white suburban middle  class families
headed by fathers who served in WWII.  When my uncles  returned from their
war and started making babies, it was not in their game  plans that their
offspring would get out of high school and get shipped off to  another war.

It is my belief that if every single American family in  the same
circumstances as my cousins' families had been forced without  exception to have
their sons go to Vietnam as soon as they turned eighteen, then  those white
middle class families across America would have  forced an end to the Vietnam
War within months of the 1968 Tet Offensive --  if not sooner.

In KALEIDOSCOPE EYES, a free verse novel about  friendships and treasure
hunts set in 1968, the Draft is arguably not  the central issue of the story.
Yet, its impact is far more  important than anything else that goes on in
the story; it's the  elephant in the room.

Rather than having characters rail about the Draft, Jen Bryant  provides
just enough information to hint at the inequities surrounding  who did and did
not get shipped off to that misguided war and to  spark recognition of how
the inevitable and devastating impact of a war  reaches deep into the
typical American community.

KALEIDOSCOPE EYES is a coming-of-age tale about thirteen  year-old Lyza
Bradley, who is best friends with the tall, quiet, and thoughtful  black boy,
Malcolm Dupree, and the small, hyperactive white girl, Carolann  Mott.  In a
dysfunctional family where her mother has deserted  them and her father has
buried himself in his teaching career, it  is Lyza's two friends along with
-- surprisingly -- the older,  hippie sister she has such a poor opinion of,
who will be there for  Lyza.

The treasure hunt (and related geology lesson) at the center  of the story
involves the mysterious set of maps left in an envelope  for Lyza by her
beloved grandfather when he dies.  Gramps was a career Navy  navigator who has
taught Lyza his skills, and has also sought to share his  sense of adventure
-- if only on paper:

"'Where shall we sail today, Lyza?' he'd ask,

and I'd reply, 'Australia!' or 'Jamaica!'
and, using a compass and a ruler,
we'd plot our course across the water
just me and him  together,

a real adventure.

Once, Gramps showed me photos of when,
years earlier, he'd tried to sail
alone
from Florida to Maine,
with just his maps, a compass, a radio, and a  two-week
supply of water and food.

He didn't make it.  The Coast Guard rescued  him,
a big storm having blown his boat
onto the rocks of the Massachusetts coast.
'Weren't you scared?' I asked him.
"Terrified--almost the whole time,' Gramps  answered.
'But,' he added, 'I'd never felt more alive.'"

When Lyza finds the puzzle pieces for Gramps' final  and unfinished
adventure  -- searching for a pirate treasure lost centuries  ago -- it is the
support and assistance of her friends that permits  Lyza to grow beyond the
confines of her family problems and seek the  solution to the puzzle.

But irregardless of what happens with the three friends and  their
adventure, at the end of the story it is the fresh gravestones down  the street,
the
boy in town with blown-off legs, and Malcolm's brother somewhere  deep in
the jungles of Vietnam who are the real story here -- the story of  1968 in
America.  And that, by itself, makes KALEIDOSCOPE EYES a book  well worth
owning.

"So we'll wait for it to come around on the guitar, here
and sing it when it does.
Here it comes."

I have two kids of draft age right now: a daughter  who is eighteen and a
son who is seventeen and a half.  But I  don't care if it is this year or
twenty years down the line -- you won't find me  supporting any war unless I am
ready to literally sacrifice my  own children's lives to it.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.