World Book Online Ideas

I do a simple overview of the encyclopedia and then have the students get
some hands on practice by finding the answers to 3-5 trivia questions. I
also have them list the source title and author for each answer. World Book
Online Student Edition has tons of fun trivia questions that I use for the
hands on activity. If it is in Dec we do Christmas questions, if they are
studying plants we do the plant one, ect. Hope this helps!

There is a short video with "Atlas" the dog on World Book Kids that I show the
students.

When we had World Book Online last year I gave them the name of a
president of the US and had them find certain facts about them. No one
was allowed to do the last four presidents so things didn't get
political.
However, it wasn't regurgitation only. They had to think about the
president's life prior to winning, what was happening in the world that
was important during their administration and how the president changed
the world during their presidency. They liked finding something about
their president that he was the first to do or the only one to do, a
unique item.
Also, I had them write a question they would like to ask their president
if they met him and what made him a good, mediocre or bad leader.

World Book Online  Gr. 5
Week 1
World Book Kids;  Play video “Online Tour of World Book Kids” with Atlas the dog.
Either click on it on the home page or click the online tutorial button at bottom
of the page.
Explore Keyword Search, Subject sections, activities, rotating picture links.
Explore Dictionary, Maps, Pictures

Week 2
World Book Student:  Play featured video.  Keyword search.  Show lists in left
column, Show main sections in article.
Other Ways to Find It:  Subject divisions
Dictionary
Atlas: Show links in side bar  Click from world to NA to US to Wisc.  & show Links
on Wisc. map
Save to Backpack

Week 3
World Book Online Scavenger Hunt

Lesson Plan Grade 4

show online tutorial in World Book Kids with Atlas to the Dog at bottom of page to
students  (4 min)
Complete Presidential Scavenger Hunt (kids can choose kids or student version for a
challenge)

Name ________________________________________                      Class __________

www.worldbookonline.com
Presidential Scavenger Hunt #1
Directions:

Click on Internet Explorer.
In the address line type http://www.worldbookonline.com
Log on using ID:____  and password: _____
Click on World Book Kids or for a challenge World Book Student
Type your President’s Name in the Search It box and click GO

Click on your president and skim the article to answer the questions to learn more
about him.
To search again, type the President’s Name and click GO in the Search It box in the
top right of the screen.

Name of President   ___________________________________

1. Birth Year
_________

2. Death Year
__________

3. # of Terms
__________

4. # president
__________

4. One Interesting fact____________________________________

4. If you could ask him one question what would it be? (answer in a complete
sentence with correct grammar, punctuation and capitalization).

5. Citation (copy information from bottom of article)

Sharon Bradley, Teacher Librarian
Old York Library
Branchburg, NJ
Grades 3-5