Richie's Picks: ART & MAX by David  Wiesner, Clarion, October 2010, 40p.,
ISBN: 978-0-618-75663-6

"When that fat old sun in the sky is falling,
Summer evening birds are calling
Children's laughter in my ears
The last sunlight disappears
And if you see, don't make a  sound
Pick your feet up off the ground
And if you hear as the warm night falls
The silver sound from a time so strange
Sing to me
Sing to me"
-- David Gilmour, 1970

I've always found that any interactive educational  process, when it is
working, is a two-way street.  The  teacher evolves through teaching just as
the student grows through  learning.  The artistic teen with whom I shared
this groundbreaking  picturebook believes it is even more generally the case
that we are  all constantly changing through interaction with everyone with
whom we  come in contact.

"I can paint too, Arthur!"

David Wiesner begins ART & MAX, a tale of two  reptilian artists and the
transformative power of art, by paying a visual homage  to some of his
adolescent inspirations: George Herriman, Pete Townsend, and  Pink Floyd.  Being
someone with a lot of happy,  long-lived memories from 1970 -- age fifteen for
 me, fourteen for Wiesner -- I am dying to know what the other three
stacked-up record albums he's depicted are.  In  fact, I've emailed some old
friends to see if they could figure  out the fifth one in the stack from the
distinctive pattern  on its spine.  Nobody knows and now they are all waiting
for the  answer, too.  (This is just like being back in high school, sitting
around,  deciphering album covers...)

"'Arthur?  What should I paint?'
"'Well...you could paint me.'
"'You?  Really?'

Arthur is the master artist and Max is the rambunctious  beginner.  In
playing the role of the wiseguy -- taking Arthur  literally and proceeding to
cover him with  paint -- Max instigates a journey through the exploration of
artistic media.  When Max covers Arthur with the paint, Arthur's fury
causes the layer of paint to crack and then shatter, leaving Arthur  depicted in
a layer of pastels.  Then Max points a fan in his direction,  blowing away
the pastels to reveal Arthur depicted in  watercolors.  Next, Max plies
Arthur with water, which washes out  the watercolors to reveal Arthur depicted as
a line drawing.  Grabbing  Arthur's tail, Max unwinds what is left of
Arthur and ends up with a jumble of  thread-like line from which he then needs to
reconstruct his mentor.   Arthur, of course, will never be the same again.

"His eyes are the eyes that transmit all they  know
Sparkle warm crystalline glances to show
That he is your leader and he is your guide
On the amazing journey together you'll ride"
-- Pete Townsend (1969)

It is almost scary to see the extent of David  Wiesner's magic through
which he pushes the envelope book after  book.  Upon savoring that magic in ART
& MAX for a while, one can just imagine some fourteen  year-old aspiring
artist getting his or her hands on this amazing journey  of a picturebook and
never again being the  same.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu