Thanks to all of you for the great ideas for setting up a fake facebook page! You
all have fantastic ideas!

Here's the original request:

I have a History teacher who would like to make a fake facebook page for some
historical people and then have her students post comments to the page. I have
thought of using a wiki, but can you think of other ways to do this? Thanks for
your help! I will post a hit if anyone is interested.

Try edmodo.com. It's like Facebook except it's for teachers to use in with their
students. I haven't done a lot with it, but it seems like it would work well.

Someone posted these last year and I kept the email just in case.
They were listed as facebook page templates.

http://techtoolsforschools.blogspot.com/2010/01/facebook-project-template.html

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B436UbFrs6nrZTQ4ZjNjMWItMjBkOS00OGRmLWIzYzctZWRlZTE1ZjE3Y2Yx&hl=enhttps://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B436UbFrs6nrZTQ4ZjNjMWItMjBkOS00OGRmLWIzYzctZWRlZTE1ZjE3Y2Yx&hl=enhttps://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B436UbFrs6nrZTQ4ZjNjMWItMjBkOS00OGRmLWIzYzctZWRlZTE1ZjE3Y2Yx&hl=en

http://lopezlibrarylearning.wikispaces.com/ Farcebook Project!

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6025698

www.edmodo.com Applications similar to Facebook.

Do you use googledocs or gaggle? Might even be a good moodle page idea.

What if she used a site such as http://www.shoutem.com/ (I would have suggested
Ning in the past, but they are no longer free to use) to create a social network?
She could set up pages for each of the historical figures and the students could
create accounts to comment.

This might be a good alternative---I’ve done it with students/teachers, and it
has been very popular:

http://jasontbedell.com/connecting-to-students-interests

Here is how we adapted it for two of my teachers:

http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/kennedy-facebook-author

http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/biello-facebook

Making a fake facebook page is easy and a great learning experience for students.

Please search for Canada 's First Prime Minister

John A Macdonald

in facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sir-John-A-Macdonald/30855675950

I think this will be perfect for you!

http://historytech.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/abe-lincoln-facebook-twitter-and-teaching-history/

You can actually do this on Facebook itself. See the page at www. facebook .com/
pages / Abraham ... Lincoln /12336859853.

I, however, would not want to do it that way. First, many districts block Facebook
through their networks, and secondly, I would prefer my students work be offline.
There are some simple directions at this link for how one teacher did it. The blank
Facebook template she created can be clicked and downloaded as a .jpg.
http://multimedialearning.com/abraham-lincoln-and-facebook-for-learning/

I think this will definitely fit the bill.

http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2010/08/historical-facebook-facebook-for-dead.html

Readwritethink.org has a profile creation wizard that would work.

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/profile-publisher-30067.html

Cheri Horyna

Hutchinson High School

810 E 13th