Dear Paul,

One idea might be the one-act or full length play _I Never Saw Another
Butterfly_ by Celeste Raspanti, published by The Dramatic Publishing Company.

From 1942 to 1945 over 15,000 Jewish children passed through Terezin, a
former military garrison set up as a
ghetto.  It soon became a station, a stopping-off place, for hundreds of
thousands on their way to the gas chambers of Auschwitz.  When Terezin
was liberated in May, 1945, only about one hundred children were alive to
return to what was left of their lives, their homes and families.  The
story of those year at Terezin remains in drawings and poems collected
and published in the book by the same name.  The appendix to the play
briefly notes the names of the children, the dates of their birth and
transportation to Terezin.  For most of the children whose work appears
in the book, the brief biography end, "perished at Auschwitz..."  One
child, Raja, survived and this play is an imaginative creation of her
story from documentary materials:  poems, diaries, letters, journals,
drawings, and pictures. (from the "introduction".)

Our high school performed this one-act last year and my daughter was in
it.  Last summer, while visiting the Holocaust Memorial Museum in D.C. we
found information about Terezin, a drawing by Raja, and a small wooden
butterfly in the section of children's toys, Terezin.

Barb Searcy                             Hazelwood Central High School
bsearcy@services.dese.state.mo.us           Hazelwood School District

On Wed, 30 Mar 1994, Paul Clark wrote:

> Our district is in the process of developing a short curriculum union on
> the Holocaust to be taught in history or English.  We are searching for
> appropriate classrom materials be they film, print, fiction, poetry,
> Internet resources, posters, photos, whatever...
>
> We have been in touch with the Holocaust Memorial Museum in D.C. but
> would greatly appreciate tapping into other sources for teaching purposes.
>
> If you have had experience teaching the Holocaust, I would enjoy hearing
> about how you structured the instruction and the results.
>
> Thank you for your help and suggestions.
>
> Paul Clark
> paulc@comp.uark.edu

LM_NET Archive Home