From:   IN%"AUTOCAT@UBVM.BITNET"  "AUTOCAT: Library cataloging and authorities d
 is
 cussion group", IN%"turitz@SFSUVAX1.SFSU.EDU"  "Mitch Turitz"  2-APR-1994 20:49
 :45.50
To:     IN%"AUTOCAT@UBVM.BITNET"  "Multiple recipients of list AUTOCAT"
CC:
Subj:   Kids in Ex-USSR seek US penpals

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 1994 17:52:14 -0800
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSUVAX1.SFSU.EDU>
Subject: Kids in Ex-USSR seek US penpals
Sender: "AUTOCAT: Library cataloging and authorities discussion group"
 <AUTOCAT@UBVM.BITNET>
To: Multiple recipients of list AUTOCAT <AUTOCAT@UBVM.BITNET>

*I am forwarding this message as it was sent to me.  Please respond to *
*SAPE at the address below, and not to me or AUTOCAT. -- Mitch         *
Date:  94-03-12 04:47:09 est
From:  Calif Ewok
Subj:  Kids in Ex-USSR seek US penpals

100,000 CHILDREN & TEENS IN THE EX-USSR SEEK PENPALS IN THE USA

Dear Librarian,

I'm writing to you on behalf of the organization, "SAPE" (formerly "The
Soviet-American Penfriend Exchange" of New York).  SAPE has been matching
up American children, teens and young adults with penpals in the former
Soviet Union since May, 1989.  Since that time, more than 20,000 pairs of
penpals have been linked, but the response via word of mouth in the former
USSR has snowballed beyond our wildest dreams.  In the past 6 months, SAPE has
received more than 100,000 letters from young people (aged 10-20) in Russia and
the 14 other former Soviet republics who would like to correspond with their
peers in the USA.

We would great appreciate it if you could make this information available
to library users who may be interested in the program, or pass this on
to a teacher/scout leader who may like to get his or her class/members
involved with this project.  While many library users may have access
to the worldwide internet network, the majority of people in the former
Soviet Union have no access to a computer and rely on the post to
communicate with distant friends.

If each of these e-mails resulted in an entire class' participation the
SAPE program, a large portion of these requests would be answered and there
would be enough money raised to send information about this program to every
elementary, jr high and high school in the United States.
Our goal is to match up all 100,000 within one year.

The following information should be provided for each person who would
like a penpal:
1)  Name                             4)  Gender
2)  Complete address                 5)  Languages known
3)  Age                              6)  Choice of male/female penpal

There is a fee of $3.00 per penpal.  A check or money order for the total
amount should be made payable to SAPE.  (PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH!!)  Each
person will receive the above information about his or her penpal, along with
detailed (up-to-the-minute) info on sending letters and packages to the former
Soviet Union.  all money above the cost of filling penpal requests is used to
send information on the program to US schools, scouting organizations,
educational associations and youth-oriented media.

Send requests and payment to:
SAPE - Dept. A
1400 Midvale Ave., #408
Los Angeles, CA  90024-5498

SAPE is recognized by:  the U.S. Information Agency, ISAR (Institute for
Soviet-American Relations), Voice of America (Russian-language
broadcast), National Geographic's WORLD magazine, The U.S. Peace Corps-
Turkmenistan and The Embassy of Russia.  SAPE is registered with the Los
Angeles County Clerk and has no political or religious affiliation.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS E-MAIL!  PRINT IT OUT & PASS IT ON!  THANK YOU!

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
   V                                                   V
       Rule #1: Don't let the small stuff upset you.
       Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.

LM_NET Archive Home