I have had book fairs for senior high students for many years.  I regard
them as successful, but you can't always judge success the same way you
would for elementary book fairs.  You will not make as much money.  If
you want to have kids get into the library and have some fun, and sell a
few books, it will be okay.  It is much harder to find appropriate books
because most book fair companies don't do fairs for older students.  The
best high school book fair we had was put on by one of the major
bookstores - can't remember if it was Walden or one of the others.  It
was something they did locally.  The store manager knew exactly what to
bring for older kids because he saw what was popular in the store.  Also
we could go to the store and pick titles for them to bring.  However, we
now do our book fairs with a local book fair company.  Again, it is much
harder to find books the older kids want because they don't carry stuff
the kids want like Dean Koontz, Robert Parker, Dick Francis, Danielle
Steele, etc. - because they work mostly with schools and with younger
kids.  But we get books they are going to read in class, the classics,
and as much other stuff as we can.

On Sun, 3 Apr 1994, Linda Friel wrote:

> Dear LM_NETTERS:
>
> Have any of you had successful
> xperienceswith book fairs for high school
> students? Our staff is investigating the possibility. When I was an
> elementary LMS the annual book fair was a big success and a great fund raiser.
> I have contacted several book fair reps, and they were not supportive of
> the idea.
>
> Please let me know about your positive and negative experiences. Thanks in adv
 an
>  ce.
>
> Linda Friel
> Methuen High School