To all LM_NETters who need to protect Windows installation against
student meddling:
   Some time ago, I promised to research how to do this, compose a list
of directions, and post to LM_NET.  Many hours later, I'm finally
finished.  What I offer is a set of step-by-step directions as to how a
relatively inexperienced DOS/Windows user can protect a Windows-equipped
computer so that students using it cannot... 1) Get out to DOS (or use
File Manager) to move/delete/rename files on the hard drive;  2)
permanently rearrange/delete/add/rename Program items (icons) for
applications already installed; or  3) mess up the Windows setup.
   I think the average person computer-literate enough to access LM_NET
should be able to follow these directions successfully in about two hours
(possibly far less) to create a fairly robustly "kid-proof" Windows
environment.  My experience in teaching computers to students and adults
for a number of years has convinced me that just "now press this button"
directions are not sufficient for something like this; you have to
understand what you're doing and why.  This approach--coupled with the
assumption that not everyone needing to do this will be well-versed in
the intricacies of Windows (let alone DOS--and I certainly don't claim to
be an expert myself)--made it necessary to include a lot of explanation
along with directions.  As a result, the file (straight ASCII text) is
almost 37K long.
   Unfortunately, I've not learned how to do much on the Internet except
email, and so don't know how to go about getting it stored on some
publically(sp?)-accessible server...and I didn't want to bloat everyone's
email box with one 37K file, when only a few of you will probably be
interested.
   Can any of you send me directions as to how I can transmit this file
to a server where it can be accessible to any of you who are interested?
Or should I just go ahead and post the whole thing to LM_NET anyway?
Your help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

   ...In the spirit of helpfulness...

        Steve Grant, Library Media Teacher
        La Jolla High School (619) 454-3081 x228
        sgrant@ctp.org

LM_NET Archive Home