Dear Colleagues,
     We have had a book challenged at our middle school, grades
6-8, LIVING DOGS AND DEAD LIONS by R. Lanny Hunter and Victor L.
Hunter.  Our library committee met last week for our first
discussion of the book.  Before making any decision, we all
agreed that we need to read the book to form our own opinions
rather than being influenced by the comments of the parent who
filed the challenge.
     Of concern to me were some suggestions made by the committee
members (composed of the principal and three classroom teachers).
One was that we set aside a special section for books with more
mature themes.  Another was that the books be given spine labels
indicating they may contain some language or activities that may
offend some readers.  A third suggestion was that I code the
books on the library's automated system so that when students
bring them to my desk to check out, I should tell them they will
need a parent's written permission to check out that book from
our library.
     Not even considering the logistical nightmare that some of
these methods could cause, I see two primary problems that might
result.
     First, to identify these books as being for more mature
audiences will surely entice just about all the students to want
to check them out, for the wrong reasons.
     Second, to follow any of the above ideas says that I support
censorship, even though it may be camouflaged somewhat in a
modified form, and this denial of a student's right to read is in
direct opposition to the principles we should support.
     Please offer me your suggestions on this topic.  Our
committee will be meeting next week for further discussion on
this book and I would like to present more than my own viewpoint
on this subject.
     Thanks for any help you can offer!

JJ Towler
--

 Jeannine (alias JJ) Towler    jjtowler@uva386.schools.virginia.edu
   J.T. Henley Middle School, Route 1, Box 519, Crozet, VA  22932

LM_NET Archive Home